Brightness control hotkeys not working!



  • The Brightness control hotkeys worked when I first installed flux, but a few hours later they stopped working without any reason that I can see (I never changed any settings on anything or installed anything new. I have no way of dimming the screen and so have went back to dimscreen.

    I still have the hotkeys enabled under extras. Any ideas to fix this? I have an R9 285 GPU with updated drivers.

    Also it would be great if we had more control of range for brightness, like the way dimscreen offers 0-100 in 10% increments. There should also be a separate setting to adjust it without hotkeys under extras (so we know the exact setting eg. I like it to always be 40%)


  • f.lux team

    Usually these keys don't work when you haven't done the "expand range" system change.

    Look in the "Lighting at Night" menu and choose "Expand range" and see if that helps?

    We have heard that on upgrading to Windows 10 this gets broken, and you have to uninstall/reinstall to make it work.



  • Keep in mind that f.lux's brightness control isn't adjusting the monitor's backlight brightness; it's just adjusting the black level. If you want a true brightness adjustment, then you will need to adjust the brightness of your monitor's backlight - usually with your monitor's onboard controls.



  • @herf and twocables, It was working before I expanded the range, and it stopped working randomly after I clicked on the expand range option (but I hadn't rebooted so it could take effect at that point. After I rebooted I had the expanded range available but the hotkeys still Didn't work.

    I'm on Windows 7. My monitor is already on it's lowest brightness setting and it's way too bright, which is why I was using dimscreen, but I wanted something I can install so I don't have to manually start it up each time (dimscreen is portable) and I thought flux was the answer until the hotkeys stopped working.



  • @supashaka said:

    @herf and twocables, It was working before I expanded the range, and it stopped working randomly after I clicked on the expand range option (but I hadn't rebooted so it could take effect at that point. After I rebooted I had the expanded range available but the hotkeys still Didn't work.

    I'm on Windows 7. My monitor is already on it's lowest brightness setting and it's way too bright, which is why I was using dimscreen, but I wanted something I can install so I don't have to manually start it up each time (dimscreen is portable) and I thought flux was the answer until the hotkeys stopped working.

    Whoa. It's too bright even at the lowest brightness setting? Are you using your computer in total darkness? I hope not because that's bad for our eyes to do that, even with the monitor at the dimmest setting.


  • f.lux team

    Here's me with the stupid question again, is there any chance that the hotkeys option got disabled somehow?


  • f.lux team

    @lorna Right there is a menu in "Extras" that disables the hotkeys.
    Does f.lux "try" to make the screen dim and fail, or does it just not work at all?



  • Well he did say "I still have the hotkeys enabled under extras".


  • f.lux team

    @TwoCables oh yes.. look at that. facepalm.jpg



  • yup hotkeys definitely enabed lol.

    Flux doesn't dim the screen at all. (I don't get any type of message, literally nothing happens, whereas it used to work when I 1st installed it)


  • f.lux team

    Is there any chance another app would register the same keys after f.lux?

    Does restarting f.lux help?



  • @herf said:

    ther app would register the same keys after f.lux

    It's mysteriously working again, I didn't install/uninstall anything. How strange! At least it's working again, but out of interest how do you restart flux?

    If you mean uninstall and reinstall I never tried that so it could have possibly helped, if you mean re-booting the system (or shut down) it didn't fix the problem.



  • @supashaka said:

    @herf said:

    ther app would register the same keys after f.lux

    It's mysteriously working again, I didn't install/uninstall anything. How strange! At least it's working again, but out of interest how do you restart flux?

    If you mean uninstall and reinstall I never tried that so it could have possibly helped, if you mean re-booting the system (or shut down) it didn't fix the problem.

    Right-click the icon, choose 'Exit f.lux', and then open f.lux again.

    (when in doubt, right-click the thing you're curious about)


  • f.lux team

    It could be possible that one app is accepting hotkeys while it's running, and our global one is still running when it's not active.

    Avoiding all hotkeys other apps use is very hard. :)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.