Philips Hue too bright as nightlight - alternative? Hue Go? Osram?

• So I ordered the Hue starter kit to try out to see if it would make night feeds for my baby easier; I'd anyway been thinking of a couple of years of getting the bulbs once the software was ready to use the bulbs like I use f.lux.

It turns out they're too bright for use as a nightlight even when fully dimmed and red/orange. Apparently this minimum brightness is set in the hardware.

Someone has suggested that the Hue Go has more dimming range but it's expensive for what it is so I'm hesitant about ordering it.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Has anyone tried the Hue Go? Are any other smart light brands (ie Osram) a better alternative?

• @Feanor A few 25 watt or 15 watt incandescent bulbs on a $10 dimmer switch that plugs into the wall outlet.

• I assume you know of some that don't put out blue light, since this is the f.lux forum? Do you have a link?

• @Feanor said:

I assume you know of some that don't put out blue light, since this is the f.lux forum? Do you have a link?

I've seen red LED night lights and red LED low-brightness lights. You can probably also find them in orange or even yellow, but red and orange would be the best.

• I have the Philips hue lights and I have one light in my bedroom that's designated as a nightlight in case I need to get up in the middle of the night. I have it programmed to be as red as it can be and as dimmed as low as it can go and put a cheap lampshade (or red paper lantern) over it. That worked perfectly for me. I'd say it puts off the right amount of light and it's probably a low cost solution.

• @TwoCables Any links? I've only found one bird-shaped orange night light, now on order.

@Sleepy Thanks.

FWIW I've got the Bloom and might send it back. It's brighter than the normal Hue bulbs when fully dimmed! The colours are also very artificial looking and you can see the individual LEDs - it's either a plasticy red or, to mix the colours for orange, the green LED becomes visible. It doesn't quite do the nice soft orange the Hue Colour bulbs do. The only advantage is that it can go on the floor and is easier to cover with a cloth or something.

I think a Hue Colour bulb in a suitable lamp/lamp shade is best, as Sleepy's suggested. That, or the Go, which on another forum someone took photos of to show that it's much, much dimmer than the Bloom.

• @Feanor said:

@TwoCables Any links? I've only found one bird-shaped orange night light, now on order.

@Sleepy Thanks.

FWIW I've got the Bloom and might send it back. It's brighter than the normal Hue bulbs when fully dimmed! The colours are also very artificial looking and you can see the individual LEDs - it's either a plasticy red or, to mix the colours for orange, the green LED becomes visible. It doesn't quite do the nice soft orange the Hue Colour bulbs do. The only advantage is that it can go on the floor and is easier to cover with a cloth or something.

I think a Hue Colour bulb in a suitable lamp/lamp shade is best, as Sleepy's suggested. That, or the Go, which on another forum someone took photos of to show that it's much, much dimmer than the Bloom.

I don't have any specific recommendations, I only saw some at Menards. When I got home, I did some searching and found some available online but I didn't order any or do any research on whether any of the ones I saw were any good. So, that's as helpful as I can be. :/

• Hi Feanor,

I hesitate to take you down the rabbit hole since there are a lot of ways to get lost and confused, but if this helps, this is how I set up my light to be a night light:

1. I used the “sunset” scene that came with the (1st gen) Philips Hue app. In that scene you can select what color you want the bulb to be by dragging the light bulb icon to the color of choice in the image.

2. I dragged mine into the upper right corner where the darkest reds were. I did this at night too so I could see what I thought looked the best.

3. Then I dimmed the bulb to the lowest setting it would go and saved my settings. It was still too bright (these bulbs are 9 watt bulbs that are capable of functional white light at 6500K so they are not meant to be used as night lights), but I have it in a lamp that has a lampshade so that helped diffuse it even more.

Now any time I click on that scene when I need the night light the light illuminates to that shade of red and to the lowest dim setting. I’m sure there’s a way to program it to be a true night light with the alarms setting in the app so it comes on at a particular time at night and turns off when you want it off, but I’ll leave that to you to experiment with on your own.

Best.

• @Sleepy Thanks. I'm using the most recent app and I can't get my head around how to choose a colour from those default scenes (or from a photograph). It just seems to put one bulb onto one of the colours and another bulb onto another of the colours rather randomly; it seems a bit pointless. I've ended up just using the colour palette to choose manually, and I used that to find a nice deep orangey red for the night light mode.

You're right about the lamp shade. I've found that covering the one I have works well. I'm moving in under a month so when I do I'll get a lampshade that diffuses and attenuates the light even more.

I've sent the Bloom back. I think the Hue Colour bulbs are both better and more versatile and since they cost the same it makes more sense to have one of those instead.

I also got a reply from Philips after emailing them about a week ago - they seem totally baffled that 1% light output is still too bright! Goes to show how many people don't realise how sensitive the eyes are when fully adjusted to real darkness.

• Hi, again, Feanor,

So we’re going to go down the rabbit hole. : ) I retraced my steps last night with the Philips Hue app and this is how I set up my light:

1. Click on the scene you want to use.
    2. Click on the pen (edit) icon that’s in the upper right corner. That should make ever scene icon pulse with a tiny pen icon in the lower right corner.
    3. Click on the scene you want to use. This should make a menu pop up with 3 choices: delete, rename or edit.
    4. Select rename and rename it. (I renamed mine night light)
    5. After pressing OK it should bring you back to the main screen where all the scene icons are pulsing again.
    6. Click on the scene you renamed.
    7. Click edit this time in the pop up menu.
    8. Click on the tiny arrow that’s in the bottom right corner. That should bring up a list of all the lights that are connected to your hub.
    9. Uncheck every light except for your light that you’ve labeled night light.
    10. Click on the down arrow that’s in the upper right corner below the check mark. Once you do this you should see the scene colors with only one light bulb icon. It will have a number assigned to it that corresponds with the sequential order in which you connected it to your hub.
    11. Drag that numbered light bulb icon anywhere over the colors on that scene to choose which color you want.
    12. At the top of the screen you’ll notice that number with the name of that light bulb. Just below it is a slider to brighten and dim the light. Slide it all the way to the left for the dimmest setting and then click the check mark on the right side to save your settings. That’s it.

This should work for any scene on either Hue app. There’s a first generation one and a second generation one. I’m still using the first generation one.

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.