FIX for problems with the Windows 10 May update (1903/18362)
Problems with the Windows 10 May update (1903) are related to "Fast Startup"
Here is what we know:
- If you shutdown/startup (with fast startup enabled) Windows color will fail - color profiles will not load, and f.lux will use its "fallback mode"
- A simple reboot makes things work again (one report says logout/login is enough)
- Starting up with "fast startup" disabled works also
f.lux is automatically working around this bug, however screenshots will be tinted, and some dimming features and fullscreen effects will not work.
If you typically shutdown and restart your computer and won't remember to do the extra reboot, you can disable Fast Startup using these steps:
- Go to Power and Sleep settings
- Choose "Additional power settings" to get to the old Power Options control panel
- From the Power Options control panel, choose "Change what the power button does"
- You should now be in "Power Options > System settings"
- Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
- Uncheck "Turn on fast startup"
After trying these steps, I'm still unable to properly use f.lux. I'm attaching pictures. You can see there's no tinted screenshot even with f.lux "active".
Are you running in HDR mode or using a 10-bit monitor?
@herf No, standard dynamic range 8-bit monitor.
Reoxur last edited by
Seems like the Disabling Fast Startup fixed it for me.
Makaveli last edited by
still, have this problem...
hallow last edited by
Just sign out user and sign in, no need to restart
@hallow I tried with no luck. Do you guys think it may have something to do with AMD Drives?
JohnyEzz last edited by
I can't use the "disable for fullscreen apps" since the may update.
NVIDIA 184.108.40.20686: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (20190522)
PnP-Monitor (Standard), 528 x 297mm, built 2017
sRGB gamut: 93%, AdobeRGB gamut: 65%
PnP-Monitor (Standard), 510 x 287mm, built 2013
sRGB gamut: 100%, AdobeRGB gamut: 71%
Windows Build: 18362.175
What I have figured, using @hallow's tip is that if I turn on the monitor after logging in, flux starts working.
It works either when turning on the computer and when I sign out and then sign back in with the monitor turned off.
briareos last edited by
I've tried both disabling Fast Startup and rebooting after starting my laptop, and in neither case will it disable for certain apps. I can manually disable it for an hour and that's it.