xflux not fluxing in debian (testing - stretch)

• I managed to get the f.lux indicator applet preferences window up, but temperature does not change with preview button press. Any ideas?

I installed with the instructions from the xflux-gui github README.md:

# Install dependencies
    sudo apt-get install git python-appindicator python-xdg python-pexpect python-gconf python-gtk2 python-glade2 libxxf86vm1

# Download xflux-gui
    cd /tmp
    git clone "https://github.com/xflux-gui/xflux-gui.git"
    cd xflux-gui
    python download-xflux.py

# EITHER install globally
    sudo python setup.py install
    # EXCLUSIVE OR, install in your home directory. The binary installs
    # into ~/.local/bin, so be sure to add that to your PATH if installing locally.
    python setup.py install --user

# Run flux
    fluxgui

• Try to see if it's related to this issue by running the program through terminal and watching the output.
    If it is, try the xflux11 or xflux12 binaries first. If those work for you, make sure to post that in the thread as well.

• Hello,
    I have the same problem. I am trying to run f.lux on ubuntu (Voyager edition). Even when I launch the GUI the preview button does not work.
    Here is the output when I launch the program through the terminal :

/usr/share/themes/Voyager-Mod/gtk-2.0/apps/thunar.rc:16: Invalid symbolic color 'sidebar_background'
    /usr/share/themes/Voyager-Mod/gtk-2.0/apps/thunar.rc:16: error: invalid identifier 'sidebar_background', expected valid identifier

What are the xflux11 or xflux12 binaries?

Thanks

• @celestion
    Please look at this thread for the xflux11 and xflux12 binaries, also linked in my previous reply.

Your problem may be theme related rather than related to the screen modes.

• @Makitk
    thank you for your reply, I had already read the thread and did not understand what were the binaries. I have a executable "xflux11" which does nothing when executed, and it might be that I don't understand what a binary is.

• @celestion
    Binaries are executables of programs which don't need to be built from source. They 'just work', or they don't. Like the .exe files in Windows.
    Debian is a Binary distro, as are all Debian-derivatives (Ubuntu, Mint, etc). Gentoo Linux builds everything from source, which requires the steps to make the binaries which are then built specifically to your hardware, but this takes some time and effort.
    Xflux is solely distributed as premade binaries.
    The thread I linked to had to do with Nvidia drivers suddenly accounting for 11-bit screens and xflux being built only on 8-bit and 10-bit screens. They made the xflux11 binary to account for it, and also the xflux12 binary to further narrow down the issue, and I'm sure it's supposed to be rolled out properly to the various distros given the problem was solved by them.

Your problem seems to be related to the Voyager Mod gtk2 theme or the Thunar file manager not playing fair with one another and has no relation to your xflux install whatsoever.
    If you open terminal and try to run /usr/bin/xflux (or /usr/bin/xflux11) and xflux gives you the error as shown in the linked thread, then it's worth to look at downloading the fixes which have been posted in there (xflux11/xflux12) and see if those work better on your system.
    Otherwise you may need to contact the gtk2 theme maker or thunar devs for your specific issue.

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.