F.lux Darkroom mode is red (+workaround)

• Heyo,

so i'm using F.lux now since a few days and suddenly the darkroom mode didnt work anymore properly, its way too red (looks like the colors are inverted).

After googling around, looking for fixes - i couldn't find any. A few days later a friend got the issue aswell and pointed out it happened as soon as he restarted his computer, so he used his laptop and installed flux (without reboot) and tried the darkroom mode - it worked, after that, he restarted his laptop and guess what? Same issue happened - way too red - unusable.

How we fixed it: Uninstall F.lux and clean the registry with CCleaner - restart the computer. Install F.lux and don't restart, as soon as you restart the machine something in the registry is getting changed to a point that it is making the colors inverted (?) and way too red.

Atleast this 'workaround' works for me and a friend.

Not sure how to fix it permanently tho

• It is never safe to let any software "clean" the Registry because it can easily detect false positives and delete absolutely critical Registry keys thereby completely destroying your installation of Windows which would render your computer completely useless. If you're going to let software "clean" the Registry, then you need to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you go through the list of detected "problems" with a fine-toothed comb and only leave those items selected you are 100% sure are safe to delete.

If you don't know what's safe to delete, then I would recommend not letting anything get deleted. The Registry should only be messed with by people who know what they're doing (no software should be blindly trusted - EVER). I have seen even CCleaner kill a perfectly good installation of Windows. So if your advice is to be followed, then it should be done so with extreme caution.

This problem of Darkroom Mode washing everything out in pure red (so that you can't see anything) is a known problem for AMD GPUs. So far, no one has discovered a fix. I don't have an AMD GPU though.

I apologize for coming off so strong, but this is very important. Most people who come to this forum are actually pretty computer-illiterate (this is not a cut-down on them, it's an observation), so it's best to just keep advice like this to a minimum or at least spell out the risks and how to avoid those risks if possible when you do give the advice. Too many people who come here would just blindly follow this advice, and if any false positives are detected on their computer, they will be deleted and then they will be screwed and it will be the f.lux forum's fault.

• You can trust me, i know what im doing :)

This problem of Darkroom Mode washing everything out in pure red (so that you can't see anything) is a known problem for AMD GPUs. So far, no one has discovered a fix. I don't have an AMD GPU though.

Yeeeeeeah well, sorry to disappoint you on this but i'm a NVIDIA (GTX 1070) user, so is the PC of the friend who encounters the same issue.

I apologize for coming off so strong

Apologies accepted :)

• So when you try to use Darkroom Mode, all you see is red? You don't see anything else?

• @TwoCables said in F.lux Darkroom mode is red (+workaround):

So when you try to use Darkroom Mode, all you see is red? You don't see anything else?

sry for the late response.

http://imgur.com/a/gcME6

Made an imgur album. Picture with reboot, without reboot and no darkroom mode.

Hard to tell on the phone picture tho, darkroom mode without restart is less bright and the colors arent that powerful (really good at night!)

• Like I said, it's supposed to be red and black, and colors are supposed to be inverted. The name "Darkroom Mode" is named after the darkroom that photographers use when working with photo negatives that aren't sensitive to red light. The reason for the inverted colors is to whimsically simulate the photo negatives in the red light darkroom. That's why it's called "Darkroom Mode".

Open some programs and whatnot (do your normal thing) and take a photo of that and show me. I want to see just how bad the red and black really is. It's hard to tell from only that wallpaper. From the little bit that I can see though, I think it's working as intended (red and black, colors inverted).

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.