Is there a way to change night and day start times? Not location-related

• My location is okay on Flux (loving the software btw) but is there a way for me to change when night "begins"? As in instead of dimming at 6pm it starts at 7 or 7:30? Searched everywhere on the settings.

• You can manipulate it by faking your location and/or faking your wake-up time.

• f.lux team

• Oh right, I was forgetting for a moment that we have the beta now. Thank you.

• @TwoCables How would you do this? I've clicked on everything and there is no way I can see that allows you to adjust the start and/or end times.
    I'm on US Eastern time and I have to go to bed at 9, and now that the sun is setting later, the computer doesn't get dark enough soon enough. I'd like it to be at just about maximum darkness at, say, 6:30pm. Please note that Im very technololgicaly blonde, so make it ridiculously simp;le to undersand. Thank you ery much.

• @misssbb said in Is there a way to change night and day start times? Not location-related:

@TwoCables How would you do this? I've clicked on everything and there is no way I can see that allows you to adjust the start and/or end times.
    I'm on US Eastern time and I have to go to bed at 9, and now that the sun is setting later, the computer doesn't get dark enough soon enough. I'd like it to be at just about maximum darkness at, say, 6:30pm. Please note that Im very technololgicaly blonde, so make it ridiculously simp;le to undersand. Thank you ery much.

Like I said, you set a fake wake-up time and Location in f.lux. You can do it. It's much, much, much easier than you think it is. Just dive in. It's actually a kiddy pool, so to speak. Don't worry about it.

• @TwoCables Yes, I know you said that. But how do you DO that? I clicked on the link for the beta model and my f.lux doesn't look anything like that.

• @misssbb said in Is there a way to change night and day start times? Not location-related:

@TwoCables Yes, I know you said that. But how do you DO that? I clicked on the link for the beta model and my f.lux doesn't look anything like that.

Doesn't look anything like what? If you have the Beta, then you have a configurable wake-up time, but we have always had the Location setting and we still do. It's all right there on the f.lux window. You can't miss it.

You do NOT have to know anything in order to do this (except for knowing how to tell time and how to put in a zip code or a city name into a text box). Even someone who has never used a computer a day in their life could this.

• There is no setting that says "Make f.lux change the color temperature at this exact time". What you are doing here is you are making f.lux think your bedtime is much earlier than it really is. Or, you can change your Location so that it thinks the sun sets much earlier than it really does - or you can do BOTH. There's nothing technical about this, or difficult, or anything that requires you to know anything. You just have to play around with the settings. You can't break it.

• @TwoCables I know you're trying to be helpful and I appreciate ti. It's very common that when someone is very familiar with something that they just cannot comprehend that everyone doesn't get it the way they do.

You have to put in a new zip code, but there is no zip code for, say, three timezones east of here. If I could just change the time itself that would be great, but regrettably it's not set up that way. May I suggest that this would be a great improvement for the next version?

@TwoCables I know you're trying to be helpful and I appreciate ti. It's very common that when someone is very familiar with something that they just cannot comprehend that everyone doesn't get it the way they do.

You have to put in a new zip code, but there is no zip code for, say, three timezones east of here. If I could just change the time itself that would be great, but regrettably it's not set up that way. May I suggest that this would be a great improvement for the next version?

So then tell f.lux that your wake-up time is much earlier than it really is and then your Bedtime in f.lux will be sooner. You said you have the Beta, so you have this option.

You can also just use Google Maps to find out what your Latitude and Longitude coordinates are, and then from there you can just change the "W" coordinate so that you can make f.lux think you're further West or East by changing that number (but never change the letter).

I figured this out on my own without knowing anything at all. If I can do it, then anyone can. You just have to do it. You can't say that you can't do it because you don't know this or that. If you do that, then you'll always depend on other people to tell you how to do something and then whenever you want to make more changes, you'll have to ask again. I'd rather see you figure this out like I did because that's very powerful.

• @TwoCables As I very clearly stated, I do not have the beta version. I don't understand why you have to be so snarky about this. OK, you think I'm an idiot, I get it. Would you speak to your grandmother this way, becuse I have a hundred bucks that says I'm old enough to be your grandmother. Please try to be a kind person and be nice about this.

@TwoCables As I very clearly stated, I do not have the beta version. I don't understand why you have to be so snarky about this. OK, you think I'm an idiot, I get it. Would you speak to your grandmother this way, becuse I have a hundred bucks that says I'm old enough to be your grandmother. Please try to be a kind person and be nice about this.

If that's how I'm coming across, then perhaps I should step down and let someone else take this because that is not now I'm intending to come across in the least bit. After all, this is just plain text. Just like when you said that you clicked the link for the beta, I thought you were saying you downloaded it and installed it. I thought "my flux doesn't look anything like that" was referring to something that I missed. That's why I asked "it doesn't look like what". That means I didn't know what you were saying, but now I do. Now I see you were saying you don't have it. It's not always easy to be understood perfectly in plain text.

Now that I know that you don't have it, I can say that there are really only 2 things I can do: I can tell you that if you stay with that current version of f.lux, then there's nothing you can do except change the location using Latitude and Longitude coordinates which isn't exactly easy unless you use Google Maps to help you out. The other thing I can (and should) do is recommend that you get the Beta version because it will make it easier to get what you want.

Again though, I am not being snarky nor am I thinking that you're an idiot or anything. The problem is that this is just plain text and it's next to impossible to come across exactly as intended sometimes.

• Another option you have is, you can change the color temperature manually whenever you want to. So at 6:30pm you can just open the f.lux window and move the slider to the left until it feels right.

Since age was brought up, I am 38 years old. Are you still old enough to be my grandmother? If not, then I'll be glad to take that $100 via PayPal. :)

• @TwoCables . I did not grow up with computers the way you obviously have. We didn’t even have dial phones when I was a child, you picked up the phone, told the operator who you wanted to talk to and they connected you. I know, it's hard to believe, but that’s the way it was. This was in Princeton, NJ, so we're not talking about the boonies.

Please remember that you have customers who are not necessarily tech savvy. A child who is in third or fourth grade is more tech savvy than I’ll ever be, so I understand that it’s hard to imagine that if a child can do something like this then an adult should be able to do it, too.

Regardless, there's no reason to be so contemptuous of people who aren't as "smart" as you are. It's just as easy to be nice to someone as it is to be nasty, and both you and the other person won't have to deal with such ugly negativity. The good news is that I can close this tab and be the easygoing, nice person I always am. You, on the other hand, are the one who has to live in your head and be the kind of angry, negative and judgemental;person you are all day every day.

Is this what you really want for yourself? Is that the kind of person you want to live the rest of your life being and feeling like? Of course it's your life and you can live it any way you darn well please. I hope you'll think long and hard about it.

• Like I said, this is just plain text. I'm not trying to be the way you think I am being. Not in the least bit. So, I am stepping down. Someone else will need to take this because then you can start out fresh with them - on a clean slate. You have clearly made up your mind that I'm a bad person. You think you're interpreting everything I'm saying correctly even though I told you that you got me all wrong. Did you post your question with the assumption that someone is going to make fun of you for asking or something? Is that the problem?

Regardless, I think I can't help you anymore because it's clear to me now there's nothing I can do or say that you will ever accept or like because again, I'm obviously a horrible person. So fine, I'm not going to post anymore to make any further attempts to help you. We will never get anywhere if I keep trying to help you.

If someone else tries to help you, don't immediately assume they think you're stupid.

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.