f.lux beta discussion

• f.lux team

Post notes about features and bugs here. Thanks!

• I'm speechless. I'm in love. :) This is so much better than f.lux v3 that, in my mind, f.lux v3 no longer exists! You and Lorna have totally outdone yourselves here.

I think it would be cool to have that wrench icon again for flipping between the single-slider and the 3-sliders. I really liked it. Or, maybe we should have some easier way to flip back and forth with just a button on the interface. Some sort of obvious toggle button that's always in the same spot maybe. Or perhaps the only sliders we should have are the 3 sliders? To anyone who's confused, the first iteration of this Beta had a little wrench icon that would load the "Adjust all colors at once" side of the UI.

I have other ideas, but they would just involve adding buttons to the interface for things like the Options/preferences, and maybe a button for the "Change color to" menu, but course then the interface wouldn't be as clean. Or maybe we could or should have an "advanced" version of the interface for people who don't care about having all those extra elements right on the UI. I don't know. The UI is beautifully clean right now, so I'd rather not see that get ruined.

Anyway, yeah, this version just blows me away and knocks my socks off!

• Look promising! I'm also using ClickMonitorDDC which makes my screen less bright! If you'd incorporate something like ClickMonitorDDC for true monitor brightness control, that would make F.lux perfect! I also think that the GUI is wayyy to big I liked the old size better.

• f.lux team

@LNDN91 Thanks, yes we have had this in our code for about 4 years, but we keep not shipping it because I'm worried about "leaving behind" color shifts and brightness settings for shared monitors (docking stations). I could add it back as an option...

• @herf Maybe you could check out how ClickmonitorDDC works or work together. It's both freeware (and will stay that way hopefully)..

• Android

Wow, that's simply awesome. At the moment I don't know what to say more. I really like the "Himalayan Salt Lamp option" ;) The UI looks neat & nice. I just like it very much. I got two questions though. Why should I want to disable f.lux for Opera? And will you offer this update also for Android devices?

Thanks and keep it up!
    Well done!

• @Alexx said in f.lux beta discussion:

Wow, that's simply awesome. At the moment I don't know what to say more. I really like the "Himalayan Salt Lamp option" ;) The UI looks neat & nice. I just like it very much. I got two questions though. Why should I want to disable f.lux for Opera? And will you offer this update also for Android devices?

Thanks and keep it up!
    Well done!

F.lux 4 Beta for Windows will offer an option to disable for whatever window is in the foreground ("active") at the time you look at the f.lux menu. So I can tell from your post that Opera was in the foreground when you looked at the f.lux menu. ;)

Basically, even if f.lux is in the foreground, it excludes itself.

• I've been using f.lux for several years now and it's been a real treat. However, I do feel there's one feature that'd make it much more convenient to use for certain people and I was hoping it'd be included in the most recent release. Would it be possible to eventually have an option to manually control sunrise and sunset times?

Currently in order to have the program behave properly with a night shift type of schedule, one has to play around with different geographic locations until they find a suitable one that actually matches their sleeping schedule, and even then the end product isn't ideal. This could be solved with manual control.

• @Viktoria said in f.lux beta discussion:

I've been using f.lux for several years now and it's been a real treat. However, I do feel there's one feature that'd make it much more convenient to use for certain people and I was hoping it'd be included in the most recent release. Would it be possible to eventually have an option to manually control sunrise and sunset times?

Currently in order to have the program behave properly with a night shift type of schedule, one has to play around with different geographic locations until they find a suitable one that actually matches their sleeping schedule, and even then the end product isn't ideal. This could be solved with manual control.

With this version, you don't have to. All you have to do is change your preferred color temperature for each of the 3 modes: Daytime, Sunset and Bedtime. If you need to use reversed settings, then hold down the Ctrl key while moving any of the 3 different sliders.

That way, you don't have to fake your location. Just set the color temperatures, set your wake-up time, and you'll be all set.

• @TwoCables Oh, excellent. I didn't know you could adjust them like that while holding down ctrl. Thanks you for the tip.

• @Viktoria said in f.lux beta discussion:

@TwoCables Oh, excellent. I didn't know you could adjust them like that while holding down ctrl. Thanks you for the tip.

Yeah, it's like this in f.lux v3 too, but I don't know if it's documented very well.

You're welcome though!

• f.lux team

@TwoCables I've been waiting for this release to shore up the documentation for Windows! It took longer than we thought!

• Just updated from the current stable to this beta version, and it seems to set the brightness at a lower lever at night time.

If I remember correctly, Version 3 had a setting along the lines of "adjust brightness when changing temperature" which I used to disable. I can't find the setting in this beta, has this become the default.

—or am I just mistaken, maybe because the default temperature settings are different from the ones I had set?

In othe news, the tick-second delays seem almost gone, but performance is still not smooth (about 9 to 30 FPS, dropping 51% at 60hz and 33% at 30hz, this on an i5-5200 with integrated graphics)

• New beta feedback and suggestions:

I am a longtime user of f.lux. For 5 years I have waited to just be able to set it to go warm at 9pm every day--I don't care about the sun. My workaround had been to set my location to the Galapagos or a point on the equator in the Pacific Ocean (I am really on the East coast), and "disable till sunrise" every morning. Every few months I come to the website or forum to see if there is an update where I can just set the time to go warm.

With this new version, I am now able to achieve a fixed warming time indirectly through the setting of the "is when I get up" time. But it still would be simpler and more direct if you just let users set their warm time directly.

A bug in the program: when I adjust the wake up time, there is a jump in the color profile at 10:00am.

I don't understand the new crossing quasi-sine curves in the display, and why those curves have a midday plateau. They don't correspond to sunrise and sunset--do they have a meaning, or are they just decoration?
    I find myself having to adjust the brightness of my laptop manually when working during bedtime. I set it to ember to remove almost all blue, but I have to increase brightness a notch--maybe there is a way to have brighter ember.

Instead of sliders, can you display the fluxometer graphic right in the app and let the user manipulate red, green, and blue light levels by finger touch and drag or mouse pointer click and drag? After all, screen "warmth" is really a canned construct of different combinations of RGB intensities. A simpler solution to have more control is to have three separate sliders--one for red, green, and blue.

• This post is deleted!

• Android

This post is deleted!

• How am i supposed to disable f.lux for a game, which runs at fullscreen?

• I think something might be broken in version 4.18 compared to 4.17: dimming is no longer performed when I drop the color temperature. So now temperatures such as 800K look washed out. I know how to handle this due to f.lux v3, but I am worried this might be unintended.

• f.lux team

@TwoCables I made it do a little less dimming.

We need to shift the presets around to account for the dimming, or it will be a real shock for people. But for now I turned it down a little bit. We'll get it sorted with some better presets in a day or two.

• @herf said in f.lux beta discussion:

@TwoCables I made it do a little less dimming.

We need to shift the presets around to account for the dimming, or it will be a real shock for people. But for now I turned it down a little bit. We'll get it sorted with some better presets in a day or two.

Oh ok good. It's not me. :) Thank you.

• f.lux team

@disqQ you could probably race alt-tabbing back to the "open" f.lux window (but it auto-hides after a few seconds). We will make this easier.

• f.lux team

@John-Smith123 if you download again you should get one that dims less. We are trying to find the balance where people might use less extreme colors and instead dim a little more (sitting in a dark room before bed is one of these cases).

• f.lux team

@John-Smith123 the graph is your sensitivity to light over time, so in the morning light makes your internal clock "earlier" and at night it makes you "later". We will do some more UI to explain this, but we think it is important that we start explaining how these systems are working in the body.

Regarding timing: there is a "more fixed" schedule in this version, but we know for certain that people are much more sensitive to light in the winter, so the seasonal component of f.lux isn't likely to go away - your body is definitely not ignoring it. But you can just set the sunset setting the same as daylight or try out the "Working Late" preset.

• Just realize everyone that the reduced dimming (less dimming) reduces contrast at 1200K and warmer. It also reduces contrast of the color presets like Blue Sky, Emerald City, etc.

Edit: Nevermind. I remembered that it was because I prefer to use NVIDIA Digital Vibrance in the NVIDIA Control Panel. ha! Oops. I forgot. Setting it back to 50% makes it normal again just as I remember doing with f.lux v3. :)

I apologize for any confusion everyone!

• f.lux team

This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @herf Tried that but didn't succeed. Anyways, glad to know it'll be easier/possible in the near future.

• This works perfectly with the 8.1 displylink driver until a reboot, at which point instead of a 'yellowish' hue, the color turns greenish. That is until the usb monitor is unplugged, then the color on the main monitor immediately reverts back to yellow, BUT! replugging the usb monitor back in then tints both monitors green again =/

With the 8.2 DL driver and it's regedit, the usb monitor is not affected by flux at all.

The usb monitor in question is an AOC E1659FWUX.

Great job folks! Keep up the good work.

• For anyone who has a mouse cursor that isn't being colored by f.lux, let me know and I can help you. This isn't unique to the Beta f.lux for Windows, it's just Windows. That's all.

• f.lux team

@TwoCables oh gosh thank you for the reminder!

• @lorna said in f.lux beta discussion:

@TwoCables oh gosh thank you for the reminder!

You're welcome! It just hit me because I'm finally using the new f.lux in my unique way (800K on demand) and instantly realized this is probably the perfect opportunity to inform the majority of the f.lux for Windows users!

By the way, the ease of being able to choose 800K whenever I want and pretty much as fast as I want is almost like a dream. This is great!

• Hi Guys,

Love the app.. I am on dual 27" screens. Here's my feature request that ties in with "disable for <appname>" on dual monitor setups, only have the active screen disable blue light for that app. I used it last night for VLC, but my second monitor lit up like the daytime, so while it is a great feature, it could do with multi-mon support with the disabling by app setting :)

• f.lux team

@Neobond thank you - this is on our list (and a big request for movie watching)!

• In the "Custom Colors" menu at the top right corner am i supposed to have more than one entry by default? I only have "Recommended Settings" but for example, in this screenshot there's more. alt text

• f.lux team

@disqQ The presets synchronize from our server (they should work forever offline if they download even once). Is there anything in your system blocking f.lux from making connections? Probably we should ship a base copy.

• f.lux team

@disqQ Also can someone say if you are seeing a graph with "fast transitions" on upgrade from v3? We intended to default to "slow transitions" so hopefully you would have to set this. Will verify (probably will reset for everyone on next upgrade to be sure).

• @herf said in f.lux beta discussion:

@John-Smith123 the graph is your sensitivity to light over time

With a double line, and lacking a vertical scale and an explanation, the graph is quite confusing. And how should this inform the choice of settings of the user?

Other questions:

• If I add my own preset to preset.json, will it be overwritten when they update from the server?
    • I would like to disable dimming completely, is there a configuration setting for that?

• @herf Mine was set to fast transition on v3 and it was still set this way with the v4 beta upgrade, if this helps!

http://imgur.com/jyqQwNy

• Great update!
    It would be great if you could set one more light point (or as many as the user wanted). For example, my PC is in front of a big window at home, so even when the sun has set down there's still plenty of light for like half an hour, in this time I find myself setting manually the f.lux to 4200K to only later let it go to 3400K.

• @Fluxing said in f.lux beta discussion:

It would be great if you could set one more light point (or as many as the user wanted)

+1 it would be great to have more transition steps, even if it were only a "power user" feature exposed through a configuration file :)

• f.lux team

@Neobond I am pushing 4.19 which resets the pref to "slow" because that's what we meant to do. You can change it if you like.

• [Suggestion] f.lux beta (4.18) - Change "Recommended Colors" file location

f.lux beta (4.18)

f.lux program files install to:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\FluxSoftware\Flux

The "Recommended Colors" profiles install to:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\flux\*
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\flux\media\offer.json
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\flux\media\preset.json

Could you install the "Recommended Colors" profiles underneath the f.lux installation folder? e.g.:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\FluxSoftware\Flux\media\offer.json
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\FluxSoftware\Flux\media\preset.json

...and not even create:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\flux\

It just reduces the amount of clutter in the %LOCALAPPDATA% folder.

• f.lux team

@pizzaguy Yes I had just fixed this in 4.19, so you can delete the extra "flux" folder at the top level.

• [Suggestion] f.lux beta (4.19) - Display color temperate along with the preset name if you select a value that currently just has a preset name displaying.

When you adjust the sliders on the "Adjust all colors at once" page the current behavior is to display just the preset name (e.g., Daylight, Sunlight, Fluorescent...) if you happen to slide to it's corresponding value. Could you have it to where it would also show the color temperature with the preset name.

CURRENT:
    It's daytime ----------------------o Daylight
    Sunset ------o---------------- Halogen
    Bedtime o---------------------- Candle

PREFERED CHANGE:
    It's daytime ----------------------o 6500K (Daylight)
    Sunset ------o---------------- 3400K (Halogen)
    Bedtime o---------------------- 1900K (Candle)

or

It's daytime ----------------------o 6500K: Daylight
    Sunset ------o---------------- 3400K: Halogen
    Bedtime o---------------------- 1900K: Candle

• @herf Yes, that was the problem. Firewall was blocking f.lux and now everything is fine. Thanks!

• I've tested the f.lux LAN API with Node-RED, and it works! Now... to figure out what I want it to control...

• Seems like there is a bug and the mouse pointer does not change temperature. This is after my having just updated to the new Windows 10 15063, so not sure what was happening before that.

• Can you add an option to install to C:\Program Files? Binaries have no place in %appdata%, and this breaks application whitelisting.

Previous versions could handle being moved to Program Files, but this version doesn't.

• Is it possible to make the transitions between colors more smooth like in the previous version of flux, where you could set them to slowly occur over like an hour or two instead of being so jarring? I really liked that and miss it here, but I don't know if I just can't find the right settings options for it.

• @dreadnaut said in f.lux beta discussion:

@herf said in f.lux beta discussion:

@John-Smith123 the graph is your sensitivity to light over time

With a double line, and lacking a vertical scale and an explanation, the graph is quite confusing. And how should this inform the choice of settings of the user?

Other questions:

• If I add my own preset to preset.json, will it be overwritten when they update from the server?
    • I would like to disable dimming completely, is there a configuration setting for that?

Dimming? Or color temperature changing?

• @wigster said in f.lux beta discussion:

Seems like there is a bug and the mouse pointer does not change temperature. This is after my having just updated to the new Windows 10 15063, so not sure what was happening before that.

This isn't a bug with f.lux, it's a limitation with Windows. You are probably just now noticing it because the new version is making you pay much closer attention to everything. No previous version of f.lux that I am aware of can render the mouse pointer so that it is colored too.

To get the mouse cursor to be rendered as well (so that its color is changed), you can do one of the following 2 things:

1. Open Windows Magnifier
    2. Make a simple change in the Registry (you will have to log out or restart Windows to see the change take effect)

If you wish to make the change in the Registry, then open Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and nagivate to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse

In the right-hand pane, just double-click the sub-key named "MouseTrails" and change the value to either 99 or -1. Both should do exactly the same thing, but on rare occasions one is better than the other in some way. So if you choose and find any problems at all, then try the other and it will work better.

Again, log out or restart Windows to see the change take effect.

Note: when you force Windows to render the mouse cursor like this, some video games will have an invisible mouse pointer.

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.