[SOLVED] f.lux conflict with ASUS VG248qe monitor: blue light filtered wrong



  • I have reasons to believe that the blue light is not being filtered correctly on my VG248qe monitor by f.lux. With my old monitor, f.lux was a godsend, and eased the eye strain, plus I would go to bed earlier due to my brain properly producing enough melatonin.

    However, ever since I got my new monitor, the eye strain doesn't go away, and on very low settings (1400k) the colors strained my eyes even more (it didn't even look like the blue light was being filtered out, it just looks like everything but the blue things on screen are tinted red.

    https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/VG248QE/

    I would very much like to see this fixed, as I am having a hard time going to bed, even with f.lux installed and running.

    EDIT: It has done this on Windows 7 and Windows 10. I have the Nvidia drivers installed from their website.



  • You might need to go through the monitor's built-in menu to reduce all the blue and green and leave nothing but red. However, the eyestrain you're experiencing might be due to flicker since it's an LED monitor. The market has some "flicker-free" LED monitors to help with reducing or elminating eyestrain (depending on how well the flicker-free is done), but they're expensive.



  • Alright, first turn the Contrast (not brightness, it's not the issue) to 50 or even 40% depending on your current color settings. Some color settings just don't look correct with even default 50% for contrast.

    Turn your monitor to it's lowest brightness, and don't change contrast. Go to a white background. Back away from the screen.

    Now, wave your hand in front of the screen. Do the same near a window, and note the differences. If your hand looks choppy / not blurred smoothly, then you have PWM. This is not good, most people hate PWM. More on that here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/asus_vg278he.htm#panel


    Now, as for the strange colors, try to find the color profile for your monitor, that may be needed. That's all I can think of if the colors are way off.



  • @TwoCables said:

    You might need to go through the monitor's built-in menu to reduce all the blue and green and leave nothing but red. However, the eyestrain you're experiencing might be due to flicker since it's an LED monitor. The market has some "flicker-free" LED monitors to help with reducing or elminating eyestrain (depending on how well the flicker-free is done), but they're expensive.

    After doing the test, it seems I do NOT have PWM, thankfully. Even so, your instructions proved to help, even if it was not intended. Having the contrast up at 80 like I had it proved to be a bit much. -.- Turning it down to 50 helped with the eye strain, but I still have the problem with blue light not being filtered properly. My monitor doesn't let me set custom RGB values, stupidly enough (most of my options are greyed out in the monitor menu. I have yet to find out why). When I set my screen to candle, all the blue on the screen is still bright blue regardless of everything else turning a dirty yellowish-gold color (not red). Ember is unbearable on my eyes with the blue being extremely emphasized.



  • You need to set the preset to User. Also consulting TFTCentral may help some, if you find a similar monitor as yours, they don't have your exact model, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something close.



  • @timpster said:

    You need to set the preset to User. Also consulting TFTCentral may help some, if you find a similar monitor as yours, they don't have your exact model, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something close.

    There is no "user" or "custom" preset, or anything like that by the ways... There are only 5 pre-made presets.



  • http://i.imgur.com/UDM2rrm.png

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P1NA_M1ijA
    You'll want to adjust RGB values there, if needed. Also, you may have a little bit of PWM according to the video. Set your monitor to the lowest brightness settings, and if you have a digital camera of any sort, be it phone tablet etc, point it at the screen to note any rolling lines.



  • @timpster said:

    http://i.imgur.com/UDM2rrm.png

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P1NA_M1ijA
    You'll want to adjust RGB values there, if needed. Also, you may have a little bit of PWM according to the video. Set your monitor to the lowest brightness settings, and if you have a digital camera of any sort, be it phone tablet etc, point it at the screen to note any rolling lines.

    Wow I didn't know that "color tempurature" would mean the RGB values... very poor translations on the menus, if you ask me... at least it isn't like any monitors I've ever used (and I've used menus on a LOT of them). Kind of sad, if you ask me. And I will keep the brightness low as possible. Thank you so much, timpster! Oh, one more question, though: Does the brightness have to be set by the monitor to help with the PWM? Or would f.lux's brightness hotkeys suffice enough? I know not the specifics of PWM and the anatomy of an eye. Unfortunately science and anatomy were never my forte.



  • Color temperature is different from the color settings of your monitor. Those color settings are to help you get a little better color accuracy (not that it's the best way to achieve it though). It's not for adjusting the color temperature.

    F.lux's brightness control doesn't change the brightness of the backlight. It only changes the black level, which is easier on our eyes but the backlight is still bright. You can see this if you turn all the lights off and have something white sitting on your desk directly in front of the monitor.

    So, always try to adjust your monitor's brightness with its onboard controls.

    I'm curious about your color settings: what did you settle upon?



  • Same as @timpster. Thank you as well, by the ways, @TwoCables. Neglected you originally stated the recommendation on changing the colors. I never thought to look at "Color Tempurature" for changing them, I guess.



  • @Drakonas said:

    Same as @timpster. Thank you as well, by the ways, @TwoCables. Neglected you originally stated the recommendation on changing the colors. I never thought to look at "Color Tempurature" for changing them, I guess.

    But again, Color Temperature is different from the RGB color adjustment in a monitor.



  • Yeah, but in this case it does the same thing, and my monitor labels it similarly, it's just a way to set a custom look. I like to bump up green, and reduce red, and some of the blue, I think it looks cool... (more real).



  • Oh. I just go for color accuracy because that's what enhances the enjoyment of my computer. So I have a calibrated color profile that's specifically for my monitor. From the little bit of research I've done, I could also do some fine-tuning with my RGB values, but I'm not up to it yet because so far my color accuracy is plenty good enough for me.

    Of course, all of this goes out the window when I want nothing but red light.



  • I use the same exact monitor with a Radeon R9 290X and flux is magical. I also use the ASUS custom color profile to avoid any color issues such as what you were experiencing though. If you used the asus profile and then made slight adjustments(if needed) I think you would be happy with the end result. Factory profiles are a good starting point.



  • This post is deleted!

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.