Bright Whites

• Very new to this software and wanted to thank you for offering it to us. Quick question - I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop (HP) and seems like I'm sensitive to the bright whites on it. Just downloaded the software and am not seeing a real difference with that. Is there something you recommend? Thanks again!

• @rwalia99 said:

Very new to this software and wanted to thank you for offering it to us. Quick question - I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop (HP) and seems like I'm sensitive to the bright whites on it. Just downloaded the software and am not seeing a real difference with that. Is there something you recommend? Thanks again!

Yeah, change the color temperature in f.lux to something warmer (a lower number).

You could also just lower the brightness of the monitor.

• Thanks. I've been playing with it but still not able to find a comfortable setting. Maybe more the "glossy" screen than the whites. Still trying to figure it out. But thank you for your help!

• @rwalia99 said:

Thanks. I've been playing with it but still not able to find a comfortable setting. Maybe more the "glossy" screen than the whites. Still trying to figure it out. But thank you for your help!

Are you using the computer in a dark room?

• Not a dark room to be found here. But have tried in different rooms and still something about this laptop that's bothering my eyes. If I look at my ancient desktop monitor in the same room, it's fine. And my 4 year old laptop was fine too before it died. That's why I'm wondering if it's this glossier screen or something in new monitor technology. I'm sure there's a comfortable setting in here somewhere but I'm having a heck of a time finding it.

• @rwalia99 said:

Not a dark room to be found here. But have tried in different rooms and still something about this laptop that's bothering my eyes. If I look at my ancient desktop monitor in the same room, it's fine. And my 4 year old laptop was fine too before it died. That's why I'm wondering if it's this glossier screen or something in new monitor technology. I'm sure there's a comfortable setting in here somewhere but I'm having a heck of a time finding it.

I think the best thing to try is, lower the monitor's brightness in combination with using a warmer color temperature in f.lux.

If lowering the monitor's brightness causes more discomfort, then you might have an LED display that isn't "flicker-free". So, another thing you can do is use the fake dimming in f.lux that's actually not all that bad: just press Alt+Page Down (or "Pg Dn"). If that doesn't work, then enable the option for it in f.lux's "Extras" menu.

• Thank you again. Yeah, I've been fiddling with it all day and it does seem to be helping a little. One of the things I'm noticing too with this new screen is the scrolling. When I scroll (either with touchscreen or mouse/arrow) it seems to move faster and get blurrier/shakier than I was used to with the older systems. Not sure but I think that might also have something to do with the discomfort I'm having.

• @rwalia99 said:

Thank you again. Yeah, I've been fiddling with it all day and it does seem to be helping a little. One of the things I'm noticing too with this new screen is the scrolling. When I scroll (either with touchscreen or mouse/arrow) it seems to move faster and get blurrier/shakier than I was used to with the older systems. Not sure but I think that might also have something to do with the discomfort I'm having.

You may need to enable Smooth Scrolling.

• Will try that one too. I do think it could have something to do with how fast things are moving around on this monitor. Watched my first video on this computer and it was handheld video camera footage of a pickup basketball game. Totally made my eyes go nuts.

• @rwalia99 said:

Will try that one too. I do think it could have something to do with how fast things are moving around on this monitor. Watched my first video on this computer and it was handheld video camera footage of a pickup basketball game. Totally made my eyes go nuts.

I'm no expert, but it's beginning to sound to me like you have a pretty low-quality laptop. :/

• @TwoCables Wish it were that simple but the opposite is true. I was using some pretty ancient technology for years. Avoided a new laptop for this reason. The new screens all seemed to mess with my eyes. This one is very nice. The problem is with the user, unfortunately.

• @rwalia99 said:

@TwoCables Wish it were that simple but the opposite is true. I was using some pretty ancient technology for years. Avoided a new laptop for this reason. The new screens all seemed to mess with my eyes. This one is very nice. The problem is with the user, unfortunately.

Well, maybe. It might be something to do with the touch display technology too. I haven't messed with that yet, so I'm in the dark.

• @TwoCables I don't think so. I'm fine on iPads for some reason. It's more of the glassy, shiny type of screen that didn't exist before (on the monitors I've used for years).

• @rwalia99 said:

@TwoCables I don't think so. I'm fine on iPads for some reason. It's more of the glassy, shiny type of screen that didn't exist before (on the monitors I've used for years).

The iPad has that kind of a display., so it might just be an inferior type because the iPad is supposed to have quite a nice display.

• Appreciate you helping me all day but please put the inferior suggestion to bed if you don't mind. All top-of-the-line expensive new laptops have the same effect on me.

• @rwalia99 said:

Appreciate you helping me all day but please put the inferior suggestion to bed if you don't mind. All top-of-the-line expensive new laptops have the same effect on me.

Wow. I was just trying to help. Good grief. I apologize for caring.

Y'know, you have a strange way of showing appreciation and gratitude toward someone who genuinely cares and wants to help! heh

• That was in no way disrespectful. Your reaction was way over the top. Again, thank you for trying to help.

• @rwalia99 said:

That was in no way disrespectful. Your reaction was way over the top. Again, thank you for trying to help.

Well, regardless, it was disrespectful. I was just reacting to what you said, and it wasn't a very appreciative thing to say at all. I was genuinely caring about you and what you're going through.

• You're actually incorrect. What was anywhere in the universe of disrespectful, in your eyes?

• @rwalia99 said:

You're actually incorrect. What was anywhere in the universe of disrespectful, in your eyes?

Wow. Just forget it. If you have to ask, then you will never know.

I'm done. Good luck to anyone else who tries to help this guy.

• @rwalia99 WITH man?

Wave your hand in front of the screen at HALF or **minimum brightness. This will allow you to see Pulse Width Modulation.

PWM is a common HORRIBLE backlight dimming technique that literally pulses the light behind the monitor on and off again, many of them visible by eye--I see them perfectly but I'm way out of the norm for that ability.

If you see choppiness when you wave your hand on a low brightness then it's confirmed PWM.

If you have that, I'd return the laptop and don't support that manufacturer at all. It's like someone taking very close to 1000 or more tiny pens or thin black lines in front of the screen as my eyes scan the next line or next few words. I don't allow it.

On T.V.s that have it I'll crank the backlight even for those that I know cannot see it. Even on my mom's computer I've cranked the brightness (backlight) and put contrast around 60. Oh and my phone also has it, I can see it right now. The father away I hold the device, the worse it gets.

• @Tungsten_smooth said:

@rwalia99 WITH man?

Exactly. Thank you.

Good luck to you, my good friend Tungsten_smooth. I hope he doesn't do the same thing to you that he did to me.

• Wow thank you. Never heard of PWM. I was trying to figure out why an ipad doesn't bother me and the only thing I could come up with is that there doesn't seem to be any bright white lights on that device. Are you aware of any laptop brands that are better or worse for this issue? Thanks again.

• @rwalia99 said:

Wow thank you. Never heard of PWM. I was trying to figure out why an ipad doesn't bother me and the only thing I could come up with is that there doesn't seem to be any bright white lights on that device. Are you aware of any laptop brands that are better or worse for this issue? Thanks again.

I already talked to you about "flicker-free" displays.

• @rwalia99 let's start with the communication part. Before you say / type something, think about how someone else would react to what you'd say--or for the best effect, since you think you're being polite--say that to someone in a conversation and you'll quickly understand.

Look for laptops that advertise "flicker free backlight" or something to that effect.

• @Tungsten_smooth said:

@rwalia99 let's start with the communication part. Before you say / type something, think about how someone else would react to what you'd say--or for the best effect, since you think you're being polite--say that to someone in a conversation and you'll quickly understand.

Thank you again!

You're right. Say that to someone's face, and they will be quite offended.

• @TwoCables not at me, but I know--sometimes it takes highlighting something a bit more. I'm that way too, if you say something in a list or don't emphasize it's significance (yeah yeah "flicker-free" I know!)
    Edit: what I mean here is that it should seem obvious that it would be important, but I wouldn't think about looking into it unless you made a big deal of it or described it more.

Then I might not look into it like I should.

What @rwalia99 should have done is been nice and not shoot down all your advice and you'd have been able to get there. So it's not your fault but he missed the details and didn't ask questions about it so well you know what happened.

A quote for referencing what I'm talking about in this post would be nice but you see it.

• @Tungsten_smooth said:

@TwoCables not at me, but I know--sometimes it takes highlighting something a bit more. I'm that way too, if you say something in a list or don't emphasize it's significance (yeah yeah "flicker-free" I know!) then I might not look into it like I should.

What @rwalia99 should have done is been nice and not shoot down all your advice and you'd have been able to get there. So it's not your fault but he missed the details and didn't ask questions about it so well you know what happened.

Well, I need forgiveness because I'm a human being and so I'm not perfect. I'm also running low on sleep. I'm very sleepy, but now I'm finally almost ready to go to bed (done with almost everything that needs to be done today that can't be put off). I figured I'd unwind a bit and come here and this is what I get. Just wow. I was genuinely and sincerely caring for this guy too. I really wanted to help him. After trying to get him to look into "flicker-free" displays and that coming up empty, I figured it must've been something else.

However, as you can see, this guy thinks he's extremely intelligent - far more so than I think he actually is.

Oh look, I can be rude too. I guess I'm still offended because he didn't sincerely apologize and he made another rude post on top of it after I explained how I interpreted what he said!

• @TwoCables What I "did to you"? "This guy"? Rude?

Wow. Seriously you are coming across as a crazy person.

Listen, you got very defensive and I'm not going to humor you anymore. You brought up a "low quality laptop" and I said that wasn't the issue. You said the exact same thing in the exact same words and I asked if you could put that to bed. I don't know what universe you live in that you consider that disrespectful. Very strange. If you were referring to PWM or some other technology, why not realize you didn't say that. Really not that big of a deal except that you made it one. I didn't come here to deal with your behavioral and/or emotional issues so I'm leaving. Probably what you want anyway. Seriously, I told you I appreciated you trying to help but I truly DO NOT appreciate this strange and over-the-top behavior. Goodbye. You people need to learn to look in the mirror in your lives. You seriously are giving lessons in communication? Wow. Later.

• @rwalia99 said:

@TwoCables What I "did to you"? "This guy"? Rude?

Wow. Seriously you are coming across as a crazy person.

Listen, you got very defensive and I'm not going to humor you anymore. You brought up a "low quality laptop" and I said that wasn't the issue. You said the exact same thing in the exact same words and I asked if you could put that to bed. I don't know what universe you live in that you consider that disrespectful. Very strange. If you were referring to PWM or some other technology, why not realize you didn't say that. Really not that big of a deal except that you made it one. I didn't come here to deal with your behavioral and/or emotional issues so I'm leaving. Probably what you want anyway. Seriously, I told you I appreciated you trying to help but I truly DO NOT appreciate this strange and over-the-top behavior. Goodbye. You people need to learn to look in the mirror in your lives. You seriously are giving lessons in communication? Wow. Later.

Like I said, if you have to ask, then you will never know. You'll never figure it out. Nothing I can say or do will ever help you figure it out because you think your shit doesn't stink. So forget it. You spit all my help back in my face and then you continued to be rude - and you're still continuing to be rude. So, I'm done with you.

I have better things to do than deal with people who think they can treat people on the internet however the hell they want because to them "it's just the internet".

So, good luck, I guess. I hope you figure out what you did wrong someday because it seems you don't get it. Someday you will have a face-to-face interaction where you kinda screw up like this and it won't be as pretty as our interaction was. Maybe then you'll figure it out.

Good luck, Tungsten_smooth. This guy is a handful.

• As for me, I am clicking Unwatch and I'm done.

• @rwalia99 said:

Very new to this software and wanted to thank you for offering it to us. Quick question - I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop (HP) and seems like I'm sensitive to the bright whites on it. Just downloaded the software and am not seeing a real difference with that. Is there something you recommend? Thanks again!

What's the model number of the laptop, I'll check backlight specs?

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.