Message



  • Why am I getting this message when I start f.lux portable "Another instance of F.lux Portable is currently closing. Please wait for it to finish before launching it again."



  • @miteff What? Where did you download the file from?
    @herf @lorna either we're talking about different programs or this is very serious!

    1. F.lux (as long as I've been with this forum) doesn't have a portable version.

    2. No-one, even before this forum, do I remember ever having this message.

    3. I CAN NOT run more than one copy of f.lux -- even with the names of the files different and modified with Resource Hacker** I'm serious about the malware thing--or you may be talking about another flux program for the HTML editor thing.

    Seriously, I think you've got a bad copy.

    Download ONLY from the developers website they have setup. To get to it, remove the "forum." from the URL so it's just

    https://justgetflux.com/

    BEFORE you re-download I suggest you first properly exit the program, if possible. In fact, before you do any of this, take a screen shot of the error message and if possible what the program looks like.

    Then find the f.lux menu and choose "exit". Redownload and install as normal. That should fix it. I'd also scan for malware.



  • @Tungsten_smooth
    Hello, portable version I downloaded from here

    LINK REMOVED

    but use the computer as a user without've administrator. Therefore douse portable version. I think there is no problem because the free version. Now I use the setup version and no problem. It is installed without asking administrator rights. Thanks for the reply.



  • @miteff said:

    @Tungsten_smooth
    Hello, portable version I downloaded from here
    LINK REMOVED
    but use the computer as a user without've administrator. Therefore douse portable version. I think there is no problem because the free version. Now I use the setup version and no problem. It is installed without asking administrator rights. Thanks for the reply.

    Yeah, the general rule of thumb is this: if the program you want has an official website, then download it from the official site so that you avoid all possible problems.



  • @miteff Yep, I've NEVER (until now) seen this version, and there's no telling what's in it. I may try to open it up in a virtual machine, but I don't think it's legitimate. If it's already giving errors, it could be malware. Again, download ONLY from the main website, which I'll list again:

    https://www.justgetflux.com/

    If you want a portable version do the following.

    (You may have to enable hidden files and folders)
    Go open any folder on your computer. Pictures, whatever. Go back to the "C:" drive. The easiest way is to just open the "Computer" or "My Computer" in older versions of windows. You most likely need to enable hidden files and folders. To do so:

    In Windows 7, click the "Organize" button and go to "Folder and Search Options". Open that, and get into the "View" tab. Here, you can allow to see hidden files and folders, do both.

    Then go to C:\ Users \ (Your Username Here) \ AppData \ Local \ Flux Software \ Flux. You can copy this folder, and put it on a USB flash drive. Then you can open it and it should just work. You DO NOT need the setup file for this to work, but if it turns out you're showing someone how the program works and they like it, it's useful to have that as well.



  • @miteff said:

    I think there is no problem because the free version.

    Yeah, so uh, that's not how the world works. There are people who want to infect your system, and you need to be very careful


  • f.lux team

    This is not by f.lux. No other site is authorized to distribute software from f.lux.



  • @lorna said:

    This is not by f.lux. No other site is authorized to distribute software from f.lux.

    Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I'm trying to post a question to the Windows foum but I can't, I can only post to f.luxometer, sleep & light and smart lightning!! How can I post to f.lux support?


  • f.lux team

    @Amun-Ra Are you getting an error message? I will look into it... also feel free to ask your question here for now.



  • This post is deleted!


  • @Amun-Ra said:

    @lorna said:

    This is not by f.lux. No other site is authorized to distribute software from f.lux.

    Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I'm trying to post a question to the Windows foum but I can't, I can only post to f.luxometer, sleep & light and smart lightning!! How can I post to f.lux support?

    Don't pay attention to that little menu. Your thread will be posted into the Windows forum just as long as you click New Topic while you are in the Windows forum. I just tested it and it works, even though the little menu on the right says "f.luxometer". Just don't make any selections from the menu, and it will work fine. If you choose ANYthing from that menu, then the forum the thread will be posted in will change. If you don't touch the menu, then it will be posted in the forum you clicked "New Topic" in.



  • @TwoCables Wow, I've never even looked at that! I'll have to try it.



  • @Tungsten_smooth said:

    @TwoCables Wow, I've never even looked at that! I'll have to try it.

    Neither have I. I didn't know it was there until I began wondering what he was talking about. lol



  • @TwoCables I just found out why I haven't noticed it--because I never see it. I zoom in a good bit on this page, and where it is, I just get the text box, formatting options, and the X and > at the top.



  • @TwoCables said:

    @Amun-Ra said:

    @lorna said:

    This is not by f.lux. No other site is authorized to distribute software from f.lux.

    Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I'm trying to post a question to the Windows foum but I can't, I can only post to f.luxometer, sleep & light and smart lightning!! How can I post to f.lux support?

    Don't pay attention to that little menu. Your thread will be posted into the Windows forum just as long as you click New Topic while you are in the Windows forum. I just tested it and it works, even though the little menu on the right says "f.luxometer". Just don't make any selections from the menu, and it will work fine. If you choose ANYthing from that menu, then the forum the thread will be posted in will change. If you don't touch the menu, then it will be posted in the forum you clicked "New Topic" in.

    You're right, thank you very much for the help :) And sorry again for the hijack, that was the only way that I could find to post in the support forum.



  • @Amun-Ra said:

    @TwoCables said:

    @Amun-Ra said:

    @lorna said:

    This is not by f.lux. No other site is authorized to distribute software from f.lux.

    Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I'm trying to post a question to the Windows foum but I can't, I can only post to f.luxometer, sleep & light and smart lightning!! How can I post to f.lux support?

    Don't pay attention to that little menu. Your thread will be posted into the Windows forum just as long as you click New Topic while you are in the Windows forum. I just tested it and it works, even though the little menu on the right says "f.luxometer". Just don't make any selections from the menu, and it will work fine. If you choose ANYthing from that menu, then the forum the thread will be posted in will change. If you don't touch the menu, then it will be posted in the forum you clicked "New Topic" in.

    You're right, thank you very much for the help :) And sorry again for the hijack, that was the only way that I could find to post in the support forum.

    You're welcome!

    Don't worry about the hijack; this is a very slow forum and thread hijacking is very uncommon. :) So, it's all good!



  • @TwoCables I noticed the same thing. I wondered about it too, but since my topic posted without issue I didn't worry about it. Thanks for clearing it up!



  • You're welcome, Savannah!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.