Night settings render text on CTRL-ALT-DEL screen unreadable

• . . or almost so, depending on the colour temperature selected. Given the emergency work that CTRL-ALT-DEL is used to perform (i.e. one uses it when there is a problem on one's system - perhaps the system has hung) this is not good. Perhaps f.lux could disable itself automatically and temporarily when the task manager is displayed?

• f.lux team

@WigglyFlux Which settings are you using? This shouldn't be unreadable.

• Lorna, thanks for the reply.

The situation applies to all night mode temperatures. Currently my night mode is set to 3900. Moreover, so far i am aware I have made no other alterations to my system colours. I have ATI video drivers. I have tried to take a screenshot but Windows doesn't let me do that on the CTRL-ALT-DEL page.

• This is not a reply to your actual problem with f.lux. Just a general "two cents" about Ctrl-Alt-Del.

The keyboard shortcut was a great combination for an emergency situation in Windows (for example, a frozen app or a less responsive computer). It used to launch the Task Manager where you can quickly (or frustratingly often, not so quickly) kill the offending program and salvage the rest of the running operating system (saving yourself from a restart).

Until they changed it in Windows Vista or 7 (can't remember which one). Now it blackens the screen for a second, maybe more, and then shows a full-screen menu of five options. Out of which, only two would be useful for emergencies. (1) "Lock this computer", if I had to run for a real-life emergency. (2) "Start task manager", if I had an emergency inside the computer.

I've since moved away from this iconic "computer emergency" panic shortcut combination and have learnt to use much quicker shortcuts to deal with the situations:

Ctrl-Shift-Esc: Instantly launches the Task Manager, just as Ctrl-Alt-Del originally did. And it's easier to hit - just needs my left hand. Plus, it's much less intensive on the system. When your computer is freezing, the last thing you want to do is to give it additional work switching out of your session into a log in screen with five options, one of which involves switching back to your session and launching the task manager...

Win-L: Instantly locks the computer. I can run faster out of the building that's on fire without having to wait for a menu and click "Lock this computer" with the mouse.

As for the rest of the options, I rarely use them (when was the last time you changed the password?) and I can easily locate them in the Start Menu if I need them.

• @agent007bond: that's a good work-around, in fact. I didn't know about Ctrl-Shift-Esc.

• @WigglyFlux Yeah, I LOVE ctrl shift esc, didn't believe when I read it on some website, but I got used to it. I think regarding the topic, I just did an (unfair) A-B test, and I feel like I can read the text much easier with the oranger tint on the letters than with the white, but everyone is different.

I'd check a few monitor settings. First try finding saturation on your monitor (it's the amount of "color" in the screen). Set that to 50, or slightly higher if you like. Then find "contrast". Set this right at 50, or higher just before the colors start looking off / too bright, or washed out. Those two settings should help fix that issue.

• @Tungsten_smooth: thanks, but I can't find a 'saturation' option on my monitor (Dell U2412M), unless 'gamma' is another name for it, in which case: the monitor offers only the options 'PC' or 'Mac' (and neither helps); and while my AMD software settings has a gamma slider, that control is decactivated - overridden by something - and I can't manage to get it to operate.

• @WigglyFlux the AMD / or any other uh immediate software adjustment like that just won't stick. Mac gamma is most likely just changing "gamma" which is a different style of brightness. Mac used to use 1.8, and 5000K color temps. It looked "better" indoors, but it's not daylight. The PC has probably always been 2.2, and 6500K.

If you can, find the "RGB" Red Blue Green color adjustments. They won't affect the amount of color (if they are all 0, it will just be darker), but maybe it well help some, if not just switch it to where it was.

Edit: Yep, no saturation control, oh well. Here's what TFTcentral.co.uk thinks about the monitor (it's a good monitor):
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.