[Request] Instant Transition (0 sec)

• I would like to officially request an Instant Transition option as the 20sec is really heavy on my CPU whilst it uses the internal GPU as opposed to the NVIDIA GPU (laptop). I am sure many people will be grateful for this.

• @Aleksa-Jankovic Can you go to the "Nvidia Control Panel" and just use the GPU full time? I'm assuming that uses just a bit more power (probably around 10-12 watts or so...)

• I remember it not working for some reason, but it was a long time ago, set it again, doesn't look like it is solely keeping the GPU active all the time. Will report back, when night comes :D

• ..or I will just switch my location and test it out, which I did. No luck it is still drastically decreasing the PC's performance :/

• @Aleksa-Jankovic Have you updated the Intel display drivers?

• @Tungsten_smooth Everything is updated. Using Lenovo Y50-70. And a fix would be nice (if exists) but an option to make the transition instant would be nicer :D

• @Aleksa-Jankovic have you tried the slow, 60 minute transition speed?

• Afraid of my PC being slow for 60 minutes instead of just 20 sec, but willing to try. Will report back.

• @Aleksa-Jankovic said:

Afraid of my PC being slow for 60 minutes instead of just 20 sec, but willing to try. Will report back.

You can always just move the slider manually if it ends up being too slow. So what I mean is, if it's too slow, then you don't have to wait all 60 minutes.

• I have not been able to measure the ipact of the 60min transition but turning my pc on after nightfall results in a 20sec transition which makes the PC almost completely unusable for those 20 sec (like before).

• @Aleksa-Jankovic said:

I have not been able to measure the ipact of the 60min transition but turning my pc on after nightfall results in a 20sec transition which makes the PC almost completely unusable for those 20 sec (like before).

Yeah, that can't be changed. I have asked repeatedly though for the next version of f.lux to provide the ability to get rid of that startup transition. Personally, I hate it. I think we should be able to tell f.lux to instantly go back to our setting without ANY transition time during a Windows startup. I have also asked repeatedly for the next version of f.lux to provide the option to have absolutely no transitions whatsoever - to give us the choice to have a zero-millisecond transition time for ALL transitions.

• f.lux team

@Aleksa-Jankovic can you post your full GPU and driver version info? Thanks in advance.

We don't allow instant transitions for a lot of reasons (among them your eyes and brain do not transition instantly so it's always better to do it gradually and get to the right level), but I certainly understand the request and we'd like to make this work for you.

• My integrated graphics is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    My additional GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
    My NVIDIA driver is the latest stable verison which is version 364.72 (Relese date: 3/28/2016)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ

• An instant transition would be nice for those of us who don't really need it or care for it. I am one of those people. I don't let f.lux do anything automatically because I can't - not with the way I live. Then if I restart my computer or log out of Windows and log back in, that slow transition is extremely annoying. I want it to go back to my selected color temperature the exact same instant Windows manages to start f.lux.

So, the same is true for manually exiting f.lux and opening it back up; I don't need or want a transition time for that.

• f.lux team

@TwoCables Yeah, I hear that. Would I be correct in saying that a fade isn't the thing that you care about getting rid of as much as you need better customized control? In other words, you'd rather not wait for the fade when you turn on your screen, but the problem is that you need f.lux to turn on at the right level at the time when you need it?

• @lorna said:

@TwoCables Yeah, I hear that. Would I be correct in saying that a fade isn't the thing that you care about getting rid of as much as you need better customized control? In other words, you'd rather not wait for the fade when you turn on your screen, but the problem is that you need f.lux to turn on at the right level at the time when you need it?

Yeah, control over the behavior is what I'm asking for. The best software is not only very useful and functional, but it's also highly customizable.

So with the way I live and with the way I use f.lux, the fade and transition time is a nuisance and I wish I had the option to disable it so that even if I restart my computer or manually exit f.lux and open it back up, the color temperature is applied immediately.

What I think I would prefer is a way to customize the transition times and fade times as I wish, right down to the millisecond. I think that would be best because then we can choose what feels right for us.

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.