Need add decrease screen brightness.

• Hi! You need to add decrease screen brightness.
    I night in monitor settings, reduce the brightness. To my eyes do not hurt.

• @Vadym Are you currently using your monitors brightness controls to reduce the back light power?

• Adjust the brightness using the physical buttons, it is inconvenient. Distracting and takes time.

• @Vadym Hmm, I understand it's a pain on (some) monitors. What I like are monitors that make this very easy. Ben Q is one such manufacturer and I'm sure there are several that add shortcuts.

On my old monitor, I'd hit the brightness button one time, then hold down that same button until it hit "0". It even had a way in there, to hold the 2nd button, then press the button right below it and I'm right at 100.

My current monitor has a dedicated button for brightness. I press any key (not power) to bring up the shortcut menu, and press the desired button to change brightness, then I adjust it there.

A lot of monitors make the buttons very uncomfortable to use, in a way that actually hurts my hand when I'm changing settings. Lower sized ASUS monitors are this way, and it really is physically painful and very awkward positioning of the buttons. Also the little icons above them are excruciatingly tiny to read, so it makes it even worse.

With that said, it truly is the best way to dim your screen, unless you have PWM (Pulse Width Modulation).

• Try the following test, then I'll let you know about a feature in the program: Tonight, put your screen on the lowest physical brightness, and wave you hand in front of it. If it's very choppy and odd looking, then you have PWM, and I recommend you keep your monitor on 100% brightness level.

• If you do not have PWM, you'll get better contrast from reducing the screen brightness at night, and it will look better. If your monitor buttons are painful for you to adjust, then you may want to choose software dimming.

You can use ALT + Page Down, to put a black filter over the screen so that it appears darker. This has absolutely nothing at all to do with your monitor brightness, but it will appear darker, and everything will have a reduced contrast level.

• @Vadym said:

Adjust the brightness using the physical buttons, it is inconvenient. Distracting and takes time.

Some monitor manufacturers have software that can control the monitor in the exact same way that all of the buttons can. For example, Samsung has MagicTune which can actually change the backlight's brightness in addition to changing everything else. Look into it.

I have to agree; I hate having to press the buttons on my monitor because the buttons were placed in an inconvenient location. I have a Samsung monitor that is compatible with MagicTune, and so that's what I use.

• ALT + Page Down, Thank you!

• @Vadym said:

ALT + Page Down, Thank you!

Just keep in mind that this is not actually changing the brightness of your monitor. It's a black level adjustment. Also, each time you press Alt+Page Down, the color temperature gets a little warmer too. This is an intentional design which is imitating the way incandescent light bulbs get warmer in color the dimmer they go.

I would rather see you find a way to adjust your monitor's blacklight with software. Like I said, Samsung monitors can use Samsung MagicTune.

• @TwoCables WOW that's cool, what type of connection does it use?

• @TwoCables said:

Just keep in mind that this is not actually changing the brightness of your monitor. It's a black level adjustment.

Yes, that's exactly it.
    I wanted it to be automatic.

• @Tungsten_smooth said:

@TwoCables WOW that's cool, what type of connection does it use?

Just DVI. I don't know how they're doing it though. It boggles my mind. I've done A/B comparison tests in a pitch black room and yes, it really does adjust the backlight's brightness and its contrast and sharpness and color and everything else. It's interesting. Up until I started using MagicTune, I was under the impression that a monitor can only be changed at its hardware layer like that by pressing its buttons.

@Vadym said:

@TwoCables said:

Just keep in mind that this is not actually changing the brightness of your monitor. It's a black level adjustment.

Yes, that's exactly it.
    I wanted it to be automatic.

Automatic is different than what I'm saying. I'm telling you that it's not a true brightness adjustment. All it's doing is it's increasing the color black. The actual brightness of the backlight isn't being adjusted at all.

• @Vadym f.lux will currently NOT change the software brightness automatically (again, not related to physical monitor back lighting) at night, you'll still have to do this manually, but it's very easy.

I would like to discuss the Pulse Width Modulation again though, to be sure you don't have any. One last time, put your monitor on the lowest brightness setting and wave you hand.

If your hand looks choppy, then you DO have pulse width modulation. Let me know if you do please.

• Or he could just look up the specifications of his monitor.

• You can make a checkbox, enable / disable the brightness filter.

My monitor is already on the lowest brightness setting. But the brightness is still large. For evening time it very much.

• @Vadym said:

You can make a checkbox, enable / disable the brightness filter.

My monitor is already on the lowest brightness setting. But the brightness is still large. For evening time it very much.

This is why you set f.lux to a warmer color temperature (a lower "K" value). What color temperatures are you using?

The checkbox idea can't work because f.lux's brightness control is independent of the color temperature control.

• @TwoCables said:

@Vadym said:
    The checkbox idea can't work because f.lux's brightness control is independent of the color temperature control.

checkbox automatic ALT + Page Down

• @Vadym said:

@TwoCables said:

@Vadym said:

checkbox automatic ALT + Page Down

Oh, to do that when f.lux automatically warms up the color temperature at night! I get it now. Sorry about that.

• @Vadym Did you even wave you hand in front of the screen? It's truly not a joke, it's a very serious thing you can read about here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

It has TWO videos, the first one you will see is a fluorescent lit monitor, the flicker is .... well compare it to the second video and you'll see why the first one isn't so bad.

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.