When I mouse over text with f.lux on the screens gets a blue shade

• As it says in the title my monitor gets blue when I mouse over text among other things. It's extremly annoying since the screen flickers when I scroll and it's basically unusable like this. I know about the regedit fix where you change mouse trails to 99. It solves that one problem but with that on the mouse does not showing up in games. Because I have to log out each time I change the values it's not very convinient either way since I do a fair bit of both so I'm wondering if there's any other fix? I run windows 10 and have a nvidia 970 if that helps.

• @freshhorse You've got two options

• Option 1: Start the Windows 7 magnifer and if needed (most likely needed) set it to 100% again, as it starts up at 200% the first time) You can very easily alt+tab and close the program to get back to a hardware cursor.

• Option 2: Deal with mouse trails visually. The registry hack is a bit cumbersome as you have to log in and out again, but if you just deal with them on "short" then you can type in "mouse" into the start menu, and go to pointer options and disable it there.

I think these are the only two options.

• What I've done is, I created two .reg files (using the Export option in Registry Editor): one for setting MouseTrails to '99', and another for setting it to '0'. I named them "mtON.reg" and "mtOFF.reg" and I placed them into My Documents. So, when I'm about to play a video game where the mouse cursor doesn't show up with MouseTrails enabled, I simply open my Start menu (but I have Windows 7...), type "mtoff", press Tab, and then I press Enter. Then I press Enter again to say that 'yes', I want to continue because I know the risks. Then I press Enter again to say 'OK' after theasdf .reg file has been 'added' to the Registry.

Then, I log out and log back in.

Total time consumed: about 15-20 seconds.

• @TwoCables Yeah but I think OP's system is stopping f.lux on login again, and they would like to avoid that.

• @Tungsten_smooth said:

@TwoCables Yeah but I think OP's system is stopping f.lux on login again, and they would like to avoid that.

I don't know where you're getting that from; freshhorse never said anything like that. All they said is that they don't like having to log out of Windows and log back in just to switch the MouseTrails setting in the Registry. That's why I am sharing what I've done.

Read the post again: freshhorse is saying that hovering the mouse over text and "other things" causes the color temperature to revert back to 6500K and apparently changing MouseTrails to '99' is fixing this but it's very inconvenient and it results in an invisible mouse cursor in some games. So, another fix is desired, preferably one that doesn't require logging out of Windows, and preferably one that doesn't result in an invisible mouse cursor.

• @TwoCables Yes that's it! F.lux works great except for that small detail and it's simply inconvinient to log out and back in. I actually tried your method from looking at another thread but when I tab in and out of the game I don't really want to log in and out to browse some text without getting a seizure. I don't think I'll keep on using f.lux if I can't find an easier fix because that's just not worth the struggle.

@Tungsten_smooth Could you elaborate on your tips? I don't quite understand what you meant. I also wonder if any of you could explain why this happens to me and pretty much noone else considered I don't see many posts about it.

• @freshhorse said:

@TwoCables Yes that's it! F.lux works great except for that small detail and it's simply inconvinient to log out and back in. I actually tried your method from looking at another thread but when I tab in and out of the game I don't really want to log in and out to browse some text without getting a seizure. I don't think I'll keep on using f.lux if I can't find an easier fix because that's just not worth the struggle.

@Tungsten_smooth Could you elaborate on your tips? I don't quite understand what you meant. I also wonder if any of you could explain why this happens to me and pretty much noone else considered I don't see many posts about it.

You just have to decide whether the benefits of f.lux are worth making new habits. For me, they are FAR more than just being "worth it". F.lux is an essential part of my life. Without it, I'd have no way to avoid blue light in those critical hours before going to sleep - unless I wanted to just sit here doing nothing with my computer off. So I refuse to quit using it even though it means that some games require me to run my "mtOFF.reg" file, log out, log back in, and then launch the game - and then run "mtON.reg" when I'm done (and log out and back in). Fortunately for me, only SOME of my games require me to turn off MouseTrails.

I've done that so many times now that it's just as easy and as effortless as breathing, or blinking my eyes.

Like I said, there's no other choice: you can either keep using f.lux and do what I am doing, or you can quit using f.lux, keep MouseTrails set to 0, and probably end up wishing you made the effort to enable you to keep using f.lux like I did.

Regarding Tungsten_smooth's post: the Windows Magnifier set to 100% has the same end result as setting MouseTrails to '99'.

Dealing with mouse trails visually means, you actually enable mouse trails in the Windows Control Panel, which gives you annoying visible mouse trails. Even on the shortest setting, I can't stand visible mouse trails.

• @TwoCables The magnifer solves it for me and I think I prefer using it above logging out and in. Don't get me wrong here I'd love to use f.lux and that's also why I'm trying to get a hang of all this so I can use it properly. All I was wondering is, does this happen to everyone with my settings and what causes it? Couldn't the devs solve it?

• @freshhorse said:

@TwoCables The magnifer solves it for me and I think I prefer using it above logging out and in. Don't get me wrong here I'd love to use f.lux and that's also why I'm trying to get a hang of all this so I can use it properly. All I was wondering is, does this happen to everyone with my settings and what causes it? Couldn't the devs solve it?

I don't know; the f.lux team is just a husband and a wife, and the husband pretty much does all the coding and developing. They are doing this for free, as a volunteer effort.

What you're experiencing could be very difficult for them to fix if they can't replicate it on their computer.

• @TwoCables Thanks for explaining! Less number of posts as well.

• @freshhorse Alright so for the hardware / software cursor craziness. By default, somway, somehow, (most likely from the GPU I would guess, your windows cursor is drawn OVER everything, in hardware, with NO regard for any other settings. If you were to enable mouse trails with a hardware cursor, it probably wouldn't have any trails. I think that's why when you enable them, windows forces your cursor to be drawn in software, affected by whatever settings may be present.

I really don't know much more about it, but I will say most games HATE software cursors, and don't work with them at all.
    *Rocket League,
    *Just Cause 2 (I think)

• Counter Strike

• Team Fortress 2

• really ANY full screen game. I think this is b/c full screen games are done in hardware acceleration, (on your GPU) so your mouse also goes along with it. If you run a game in borderless windowed mode (like windowed mode, but with out any frame or border, I do think you'll still get the hardware cursor, so you'll still have to change it.

On that note, some games (Using Direct X 10 and above) do work with f.lux's color changes, but Direct X 9 it's not going to work at all, so you'll again have to use a "borderless windowed" mode.

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.