Alternative to windows colour calibration for use with flux

• Android

I'm asking this here since I don't know of any other place where I might get an answer.

I have recently corrected the greenish colours of my display with windows's colour calibration tool. This works, and it looks a lot better now, but I found out that it does not work with flux. After some research I found out that flux does support icc profiles, but the ones windows creates are in a poorly documented format, and are thus not usable with flux.

What would be an alternative to the windows colour calibration tool that does work with flux?

I have searched for quite a while but I could not find any software that wasn't either horribly outdated or just plain didn't work.

• @GalaxyMaster A hardware colorimeter or however that's spelled. There are several and I think the team recommends the X-rite variety.

• Android

Thanks for your reply, I already knew of the existence of hardware calibrators, but I always thought they were very expensive. If there is a decent but cheap one available I might look into it.

Are there any software based calibrators that are compatible with flux?

• @GalaxyMaster Well you may be able to find some around $70 if you can do that. You'll just have to search around, maybe you'll find a good deal.

• You might also be able to find an expertly-calibrated profile on the internet for your monitor or laptop or whatever you have by just doing an internet search for the model name/number along with the words, "calibrated profile" or "color profile".

• Android

@TwoCables I have not been able to find any profile for my monitor anywhere. My monitor is a VX239. It's not a very popular monitor and I doubt there are any profiles for it available, but if you can find anything that'd be great.

@Tungsten_smooth That would be too much, thanks for your help either way.

• @GalaxyMaster open your monitor's settings (find the one where it lists the different modes like "game", "movie", "picture" etc. Set it to standard or "sRGB" if available, and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Also, you can configure a setting called "color temperature" or RGB "custom" on your monitor to take down the green and blue on the monitor to get the colors the way you want and have them stay there.

• Android

@Tungsten_smooth I have already set it to sRGB from the start, but it was still a bit too green (all the profiles were) and the gamma was quite a bit too low making dark colours impossible to see.

• @GalaxyMaster I edited my post, you can probably adjust the RGB values of the monitor to take away some of the green tint.

• Android

Yes, that could work but unfortunately my OSD has no gamma or brightness settings. My graphics drivers do have brightness controls to allow me to see the darker colours but that completely kills my white levels.

• Android

I managed to solve the problem with a program called QuickGamma. It can read your current Windows colour calibration settings and export it to an icc file that f.lux can read.

• @GalaxyMaster Woah, I'll have a look! Thanks!

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.