Letters turn red when scrolling



  • So I just installed this app, it's great for my eyes, but when I scroll, the letters turn red if there's a white background. This just happens when I'm in night mode. In daylight nothing happens, all is smooth. How can I fix this?
    NOTE: This is happening on Windows 10, with to date drivers on Nvidia GTX 850M.



  • @denisegrn This has to do with the monitor, no O/S or graphics card dependencies. Most monitors do a Grey to Grey response time, and make those faster than white to black or other colors. I'm not an expert on how it all works but basically it's the motion blue of your monitor, and I see it a little bit too. If it really bothers you, you'll want to get an IPS or VA panel monitor. BenQ is a good choice, as is ASUS, and probably many many many others. So just look around, and also have a look at TFTCentral.co.uk as they measure motion blur.



  • Yeah, the thing I forgot to mention is that this happens on a ASUS Notebook.



  • @denisegrn plug in an external monitor and note what happens.



  • @Tungsten_smooth When connected to an externel monitor everything is well and working smoothly.



  • @denisegrn I think that settles it, it's the laptop screen motion blur.



  • Yeah, it's a problem with a very slow "response time".



  • @Tungsten_smooth So, is there any way around this? Can I do something about it, beside connecting my laptop to an external monitor?



  • @denisegrn said:

    @Tungsten_smooth So, is there any way around this? Can I do something about it, beside connecting my laptop to an external monitor?

    No, this is just the way this laptop's display operates. It has a slow response time.

    Here's an internet search for your consideration to learn more about LCD response time:
    https://classic.startpage.com/do/search?hmb=1&cat=web&cmd=process_search&language=english&engine0=v1all&query=LCD+response+time&abp=1



  • @denisegrn By chance, is this a gaming geared notebook? If not, this is understandable, but if it were, it may have options to reduce the blurring, but I'm not familiar with what it's called. My Ben Q just calls it "AMVA" which is a bad name, because that's just the type of monitor, but it's setting a type of response for the monitor.



  • @TwoCables So, basically there's no way I can use f.lux without the red letters turning red. I read what was said in the first link and I understand there's no way around it.



  • Wait... do you mean that the text basically disappears while scrolling if there's a white background?



  • @Tungsten_smooth It's not really a gaming geared notebook. It has an i5 4200H processor 8gb ram and a GeForce GTX850M. I thought that it may have some options for this, but I really don't know where to look.



  • @TwoCables No, what I'm saying is that when I scroll when using f.lux in night mode, the letters turn red and leave a red trace until the scrolling stops.



  • @denisegrn said:

    @TwoCables No, what I'm saying is that when I scroll when using f.lux in night mode, the letters turn red and leave a red trace until the scrolling stops.

    Ok then yeah, that's normal with low-quality panels. Pay close attention and you might notice the same thing happening in Daytime mode, but with a different color (white, I think).



  • @TwoCables Do you have any idea if there are some options to reduce motion blur, or something, or this is just the way these panels are? The laptop is an ASUS, this model: x550JK-xx258D



  • @denisegrn said:

    @TwoCables Do you have any idea if there are some options to reduce motion blur, or something, or this is just the way these panels are? The laptop is an ASUS, this model: x550JK-xx258D

    No, this is just the way the panel works. It might have some options to adjust the response time, but I doubt it because it wasn't designed as a gaming laptop.

    Scroll with f.lux set to 6500K and study the appearance carefully. Do you see the same effect but in a different color (white, I think)? I think you'll see the same thing happening, but of course in a different color - probably white.



  • @TwoCables Yeah, it does look like it has the same effect. The colors kind of fade when I scroll.



  • @denisegrn said:

    @TwoCables Yeah, it does look like it has the same effect. The colors kind of fade when I scroll.

    Yep, and that's what I'm talking about: it's a low-quality display panel. You're stuck with it. :/ We shouldn't be surprised though because it's a laptop. Y'know?



  • @TwoCables Yeah, I'm kinda surprised, because it's not some low end laptop. Well, that settles it. Looks like I'm not going to use f.lux, or use it and struggle not to get annoyed by the red letters.



  • @denisegrn said:

    @TwoCables Yeah, I'm kinda surprised, because it's not some low end laptop. Well, that settles it. Looks like I'm not going to use f.lux, or use it and struggle not to get annoyed by the red letters.

    Yeah, but it's not a "gaming laptop". It's designed for the super fast motion of 3D gaming. A high-end gaming laptop would probably have a superior display panel in this regard. Or, you'd hope so.

    I'd rather use f.lux and get all the benefits and deal with this problem than NOT use it. After all, it's only a problem when you're scrolling.



  • @denisegrn said:

    @TwoCables Yeah, I'm kinda surprised, because it's not some low end laptop. Well, that settles it. Looks like I'm not going to use f.lux, or use it and struggle not to get annoyed by the red letters.

    Hey, there's always PageDown. Also if you use that, it will use less power from the CPU / GPU when scrolling.... so that could save extremely minor amounts of battery life. Also, you can turn off all smooth scrolling in windows / firefox, although it's nice to see which way you're moving, I assure you, you'll quickly adjust.



  • Thank you both for your help. I'll try and use it like this, cause it's very soothing for my eyes, even though the problem I was talking about frustrates me. Thank you both, again, you've been very helpful.



  • @denisegrn said:

    Thank you both for your help. I'll try and use it like this, cause it's very soothing for my eyes, even though the problem I was talking about frustrates me. Thank you both, again, you've been very helpful.

    You're welcome!



  • I just realized that I have the same thing. It's mostly noticeable at 1200K. I guess I just ignore it because I've never really noticed it.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.