What Flux Settings Shall i keep in Day time and Night Time


  • Android

    Well I have been using flux on all my computers and laptops which I use I keep it on all the time but I have been wondering that what is the optimum setting for flux temperature to keep in day time for my office my office have natural day light led lights I usually set it to 4500K in day time and 3400K as sunset at night please tell me do I need to increase the daytime temperature or leave it to 4500K as I have read in the forum or some where that in day time the bluelight helps to reprogram and produce melonin but at night it is adverse please advise me proper settings.



  • @Abdul-Basit said:

    Well I have been using flux on all my computers and laptops which I use I keep it on all the time but I have been wondering that what is the optimum setting for flux temperature to keep in day time for my office my office have natural day light led lights I usually set it to 4500K in day time and 3400K as sunset at night please tell me do I need to increase the daytime temperature or leave it to 4500K as I have read in the forum or some where that in day time the bluelight helps to reprogram and produce melonin but at night it is adverse please advise me proper settings.

    The most important thing to remember is that, in general, get plenty of natural light during the day, and try to avoid blue light in the critical hours before going to sleep because blue light delays the production of melatonin (not melonin, which is very different). It is "alerting". Blue light is a natural signal to the body that it's time to be awake and alert. Bright light is too though, so you have to watch the brightness of the light you're exposed to. Basically, try to simulate living outside in the wild, in terms of the light you're exposed to - as much as possible, at least.

    For the f.lux color temperature at night, well, I don't know enough about the science behind it, so I don't know if 3400K is still too blue. I personally feel that it's still too blue, so I've taken it to the extreme of just going 100% red and using 1200K at night. I also use nothing but these lights:

    http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/performance/performance_led/performance_led/color_leds/color_led/a19-r-led

    I also dim my monitor's backlight setting to 0-10%. I even take it to the extreme of changing my monitor's RGB settings like this:

    R = 50
    B = 0
    G = 0

    In the last 30-45 minutes before I go to sleep, I turn off all lights except for just one of those red FEIT LEDs.

    The circadian rhythm seems to be rather sensitive in my observations of it, and the production of melatonin can be delayed by a few hours if you're exposed to too much blue light.

    So, don't think about it too much, keep it simple, and just try to be natural. F.lux is only here to make it easier for us to avoid blue light at night and to maybe have an easier computer usage experience during the day. Think about it: without f.lux, we couldn't be using our computers near bedtime. Of course, we still have to watch out for the T.V. and other bright bluish displays. Sigh. lol

    One thing you will notice at night when you dim the lights and dim your monitor and use nothing but very very very warm lighting and a very warm f.lux setting is, you will feel more relaxed. That's your body going, "well, I guess it's night time. Time to get ready to go to sleep." If only I could give you the feeling I get when I switch to my "red time" at night!

    I'd lke to let you in on a little secret: I am able to use 800K at night using a simple change in the Windows Registry. It's not just 800K either: I can type in any number. All I have to do is restart f.lux itself and the new setting is applied. If you're comfortable making a simple change to the Registry, then I'd be happy to show you. 800K is noticeably more red than 1200K. Scientifically though, I have no idea if it matters. With my red LEDs though, 800K seems to match while 1200K still looks a little too green, and so I tend to have The Placebo Effect of 1200K being a little more alerting. I think.


  • Android

    thanks for your detail explanation regarding my query well from your reply I think that in day time I shall keep the color temperature to 5000K or more to expose some natural light from my work monitor and at night before going to bed and working on my laptop take it to 1200K as currently I can change my lighting of my office I am really curious what is the flux settings for day time.

    One more thing I have heard that brown photo sun eye lenses tends to block blue light than grey sun eye lenses does making brown photo sun ant reflexive lenses also help to decrease blue light effect and prevents eye strain



  • @Abdul-Basit said:

    thanks for your detail explanation regarding my query well from your reply I think that in day time I shall keep the color temperature to 5000K or more to expose some natural light from my work monitor

    You're welcome!

    When I said "natural", I meant light from the sun. The kind of light that's emitted by a computer monitor (or any kind of a display for that matter) is very limited and very unnatural.

    @Abdul-Basit said:

    and at night before going to bed and working on my laptop take it to 1200K as currently I can change my lighting of my office I am really curious what is the flux settings for day time.

    I'm having a hard time understanding something here: are you asking again what settings you should use in f.lux during the day? The answer is, any setting you want. There is no right or wrong. Like I said, just make sure you aren't depriving yourself of natural light during the day (light from the sun), and try to avoid blue light as much as you can at night in the critical 2-3 hours before going to sleep. Also try to avoid bright light at night. For that matter, try to avoid loud sounds too because loud sound is almost just as alerting as bright light or blue light. Like I said, what would it be like if you were living out in the wild somewhere? Try to simulate that as much as you can in terms of the light you're exposed to around the clock (and the level of sound that you're exposed to).

    @Abdul-Basit said:

    One more thing I have heard that brown photo sun eye lenses tends to block blue light than grey sun eye lenses does making brown photo sun ant reflexive lenses also help to decrease blue light effect and prevents eye strain

    I'm a little confused by what you posted here. Are you having eyestrain problems?


  • Android

    @TwoCables thanks for your quick and detail reply regarding my inquiry yes i want to know what is the exact flux setting shall i use in day time for my office computer.
    fuether recording the brown photosun glasses i want to tell you that actually i have weak eyesight problem and currently i am wearing speactacles with grey antireflection photosun lenses but i have heard that brown shade photosunlenses block more bluelight then grey tint but brown increases contrast more so plz guide me which tint color is best for my eyes from bluelight.



  • @Abdul-Basit said:

    @TwoCables thanks for your quick and detail reply regarding my inquiry yes i want to know what is the exact flux setting shall i use in day time for my office computer.

    Again, use any setting that you want. There is no right or wrong setting. Just set it to whatever you are happiest with. Experiment.

    It really doesn't matter what you set it to.

    @Abdul-Basit said:

    fuether recording the brown photosun glasses i want to tell you that actually i have weak eyesight problem and currently i am wearing speactacles with grey antireflection photosun lenses but i have heard that brown shade photosunlenses block more bluelight then grey tint but brown increases contrast more so plz guide me which tint color is best for my eyes from bluelight.

    I can't guide you at all because I am not an expert on sunglasses. You know far more than I do about them.



  • @CarisaJemison said:

    I AM IN NEED OF SOME SUGGESTIONS REGARDING HOW TO PROTECT ONCE EYE.

    Just one eye? Is that what you mean?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.