Set installation path?

• Hi guys. I have been looking to install flux on my work PC. According to the EULA this is permitted provided that is a basic install, which is fine as it is just for myself. Whilst I do have local-admin (I'm part of the IT department) the security team enforce very strict workstation policies - specifically in addition to having UAC on max, we use AppLocker to prevent any executables from running outside of the Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Windows directories. Since the flux installer appears to be hard-coded to use C:\Users%username%\AppData\Local\FluxSoftware\Flux this is preventing the program from functioning. Is there any chance that future releases could have the install directory configurable?

Other than that the program has been a massive help on my personal PC so on behalf of my retinas thanks very much.

• f.lux team

We've had a few requests for this - it's a feature that many IT departments need, may be something we can add in the future.

• One year later, as if "many" IT departments asked that... Nothing changed...

• @Skiki said in Set installation path?:

One year later, as if "many" IT departments asked that... Nothing changed...

For what it's worth, I managed to bodge it into working by copying the Flux folder from %localappdata% into my program files dir. I then created a shortcut to the flux.exe in my startup folder.

To prevent my event log from being filled with Applocker alerts I then went into msconfig and disabled the original startup entry for flux (in appdata).

By no means a solution but if its just on the odd PC it is a workaround at least.

• f.lux team

@Skiki Yes, we've had a "few requests" for this. We'll let everyone know when there's a version better suited for this purpose, I know it's not fun to wait.

• @lorna Thanks. It's just so strange, all Software can do this but not yours :(

• Well I don't know about its effect on licensing but about a year ago when i was testing this app for deployment on Win10 to my firm, i made an install script that I ran during the MDT. We decided to not deploy it at that time. here is what I did. basically as mentioned in other posts, all you need to do is install the files on one machine and copy it to a network folder. somewhere and then add it to your run settings. I also threw in the uninstall settings so that someone could uninstall it if they chose. here is my basic script that can be run with administrator rights:

md "%programfiles(x86)%\FLUXSoftware\Flux"
    xcopy %~dp0Install*.* "%programfiles(x86)%\FLUXSoftware\Flux*.*" /s/e/v
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v f.lux /t REG_SZ /D ""C:\Program Files (x86)\FLUXSoftware\Flux\flux.exe" "/noshow"" /f
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Flux /v DisplayName /t REG_SZ /D "f.lux" /f
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Flux /v UninstallString /t REG_SZ /D ""C:\Program Files (x86)\FLUXSoftware\Flux\uninstall.exe" " /f
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Flux /v QuietUninstallString /t REG_SZ /D ""C:\Program Files (x86)\FLUXSoftware\Flux\uninstall.exe" "/S"" /f
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Flux /v Publisher /t REG_SZ /D "Flux Software LLC" /f
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Flux /v DisplayVersion /t REG_SZ /D "3.10.0.1" /f
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Flux /v DisplayIcon /t REG_SZ /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\FLUXSoftware\Flux\flux.exe,0" /f
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Flux /V EstimatedSize /T REG_DWORD /D 2048 /f
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Flux /V NoModify /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /f
    Reg ADD HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Flux /V NoRepair /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /f

I created a AD GPO that set the user preferences based on their region, thats why the user settings arent listed here.

its not that hard to get around the installer. there are also plenty of install wrappers on the Internet that you can get for free that would allow you to create your own MSI, just be careful to not get a download with adware or malware.

Mike

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.