Flux automatically installs to boot drive

• Hi,

I have an SSD as my C:, and it has limited space, so I install programs to my HDD. When I installed Flux, it didn't give me the option to choose a destination, instead it automatically installed itself to C:. Is there any way I can get around this? Thanks.

• @breadwinner Yes go to "C:\Users"username"\AppData\Local\FluxSoftware" and move it wherever you want. It may not start up automatically if you do this though, you'll probably have to modify a registry key, just search for flux in the registry, and change the path to where you want it.

• f.lux team

Someday somebody's going to write a post that says something like, "thanks for making such a small exe, 583K isn't much space at all." Today could still be that day.

• @lorna LOL, I was thinking the same! Yeah the whole install is less than 2 MB by default. Mine is around 3 MB because I added a version that unlocks completely hidden features... (like a candle mode).

• @lorna A sarcastic response in lieu of answering the question? How original. At least I know this is definitely tech support.

Today could still be that day.

Yeah, maybe if you buy me a candle lit dinner first. I hear f.lux has a mode for that.

I appreciate that f.lux doesn't take up a significant amount of space. However, my question about being able to change the path of installs automatically path to the main drive still remains relevant; f.lux isn't the only guilty party, cough Chrome cough. The option should be there regardless.

• f.lux team

@breadwinner Now I'm afraid to write back or not in case my reply is going to take up too much space in your browser cache.

But -thanks for implicating Chrome, I'd urge you to send them feedback as well if you have not already. And I'll have to decline your offer to buy you dinner, unfortunately tech support doesn't pay very well!

• @lorna Well, maybe just add in an "Advanced" checkbox and allow it, then you won't have to worry about it.

• Let me get this straight...

The installer's size on disk is 584 KB (598,016 bytes).

The total size on disk it's consuming in your appdata folder is 2.51 MB (2,634,752 bytes).

If you don't delete the installer, then that's a total of 3.157 MB. If you delete the installer, then it's 2.51 MB being taken up.

I have photos on my solid state drive that are bigger than 3.157 MB.

Why are you worried about it? You have drivers and other things that are forcibly installed to C: that take up more space! Are you worried about wearing out your solid state drive?

• Again...

Let me get this straight...

The installer's size on disk is 584 KB (598,016 bytes).

The total size on disk it's consuming in your appdata folder is 2.51 MB (2,634,752 bytes).

If you don't delete the installer, then that's a total of 3.157 MB. If you delete the installer, then it's 2.51 MB being taken up.

I have photos on my solid state drive that are bigger than 3.157 MB.

Why are you worried about it? You have drivers and other things that are forcibly installed to C: that take up more space! Are you worried about wearing out your solid state drive?

What's the big deal here? It's not like this is consuming several gigabytes. It's smaller than many photos these days!

Good lord.

• f.lux team

It's a perfectly reasonable feature request. We have a lot of other things to finish first, I am thinking most of our Windows users would prefer custom circadian timing to custom install paths. I could be wrong.

• No, I think that it's an extremely high-priority to get a custom install path for f.lux so that I don't have to worry about running out of space on my drive.

• That's what I thought. :)

• f.lux team

OK. Dang. Because the custom circadian timing was really cool. :(

• @lorna said:

OK. Dang. Because the custom circadian timing was really cool. :(

Nah. Screw the awesome features that everyone has been asking for. This is the absolute highest priority because it is a MAJOR issue. I'm down a whole 3 MB. I think I'm going to go into Panic Mode. Now I'm gonna have to go to the store to buy a new hard drive.

• f.lux team

It's all going to be okay @TwoCables just breathe.

• Wwoooooooosssaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

• Did you think I was being serious?

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.