Problem when mouse pointer changes into text cursor

• Hi guys!

I love f.lux, but something strange is happening. I have a dual monitor setup, and it works on both screens, but on my main screen (AOC G2460F) when the mouse pointer turns into a text cursor by hovering over input fields or text to copy it brightens/goes from warm to a little colder. This does not happen on my secondary screen. I have not found any settings to fix this, nor have any search results provided a fix/reason. Has anybody had this problem before, or have any suggestions on what I can do? It's sincerely annoying!

Love,
    djettasin

• Wow, now that's a new one. However, let's make a very quick and easy change to a Registry key. Don't worry, this is easy and harmless.

Open "Registry Editor" (you can just use the Start Menu search). You can also look for "regedit". Then, navigate to here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse

On the right-hand side, double-click "MouseTrails" and change the value to "99" and press Enter. Close Registry Editor, log out of Windows, log back in and test it. If it's fixed, then that's great! If not, then I won't know what to do.

There's one problem with this though: in most modern 3D video games, the in-game cursor becomes invisible with mouse trails enabled.

• @TwoCables Wooo! It worked!!! Thank you forever. That was an eyesaver (eheh). What does exactly MouseTrails do when increased? I have no experience with it. Would you care to expand on it if you can? Except within gaming, does it alter anything else (mouse sensitivity, DPI, etc). I do play some Counter-Strike: Global Offensive once in a while, so it would be good to know! Again, thanks a bunchies <3

• YES! I was a little worried that this wouldn't work because normally, all of the cursors are still blue. So, I was like, "um... what? That's weird, but let's see if this works anyway". lol

So yeah, you're very welcome. It's a pleasure to be able to help!

I don't know how to explain why it works very well, but I remember that it has something to do with the way the mouse cursor is rendered. Turning on mouse trails forces the mouse cursor to be rendered differently, which, for some reason, enables it to be colored by f.lux. The "99" setting for some reason results in Mouse Trails being on but it's impossible tell.

I don't have any negative mouse performance from this. I can't tell the difference at all. Ever. So, you might actually forget that you've done this. hehe If your mouse cursor disappears in-game though, well yeah, you'll definitely remember. If that happens, then I recommend making two different .reg files so that you can easily switch back and forth between 99 and 0. I mean, right-click the Mouse key (in the Registry where you just were) and choose Export and put it somewhere of your choosing. Then, go back to the Registry subkey that we changed to 99 and change it to 0 and export Mouse to the same folder and give it a different name than the first file. Make sure you change it back to 99 when you're done (or change it to 0 first, export, then change it to 99 and then export).

From that point forward, you might be able to just open the Start Menu, type the name of your exported Registry files and then press Enter (and then Enter and then Enter... you'll see. lol). This is actually how I have my computer set up. I have one exported Registry file for the mouse trails at 99 and another for 0. The file names that I chose were "mtON.reg" and "mtOFF.reg".

• @TwoCables That's all great help and information, man, thank you so much. Quick and easy help on an issue that seemed unbearable and unsolvable just a few minutes ago. You are a quality person, keep that helping hand high so I can high five it!

• @djettasin said:

@TwoCables That's all great help and information, man, thank you so much. Quick and easy help on an issue that seemed unbearable and unsolvable just a few minutes ago. You are a quality person, keep that helping hand high so I can high five it!

Aw man, that warms my heart (not to get too mushy, but hey it does). Thank you. :)

• f.lux team

The mouse cursor is special-cased to draw "in hardware" - meaning on the GPU directly. And some GPUs (but not all) ignore the changes f.lux makes for just the cursor.

The mouse trails trick makes it draw in software.

fwiw!

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.