F.lux keeps resetting Windows Color Calibration / AMD Radeon settings

• When I turn the flux on it resets the current settings of calibration/gamma, i've tried changing the calibration using Windows Color Calibration and AMD Radeon Catalyst, but it keeps resetting the settings every time I turn the f.lux on (when I turn it on it instantly increases the gamma and the starts to adjust the lighting from that point on)

Can anyone point me to the right direction on how to fix it ? I really got used to the f.lux on my old pc and would want to keep using it if I can find the solution. Thanks.

• You're not the only one with this problem as I see it as well on my gaming pc. When I exit the flux application it instantly increases the gamma and it's so blinding.

• It didn't had this problem on my 2 other pcs - windows xp and windows 7, but it has on windows 8. Even when the flux is on the gamma is just too high. It resets screen gamma options, windows gamma options and graphic drive gamma options. I'd be glad if someone could help, I really like f.lux

• Yeah none of that stuff can work with f.lux at all. None of it. The only thing that will work is a hardware calibrator or try to find an .icc color profile for your monitor.

TFTCentral can help you find one.

• How can i change gamma without f.lux overriding it ? On the monitor I can only change brightness and contrast.

• @user992 Hmmm... I really don't know!

• Ah, crap. I thought "keeps resettng" meant even while it's disabled, which it does, but this is most of what the thread I just startedi is about.

• I keep f.lux on at all times, so it's not a problem if it resets after i disable it, the problem is it resets gamma when i enable it.

Do the developers know how to keep the gamma settings ?

• f.lux team

We have a FAQ entry about this:
    https://justgetflux.com/faq.html?q=gamma+settings

Generally we don't read manual calibrations from the running system and we try to always read them "from disk" - i.e. a .ICM profile.

We spent a lot of time trying to make this work in all cases, but basically a ton of software in your system already tries to do it (sometimes even leaking profiles across separate user accounts). In the end, it's very hard to keep f.lux from also reading its own settings in some cases, if we make sure we never lose actual calibrated profiles.

ICM/ICC/WCS profiles are good and software that makes "calibration" changes should actually write one. So this is the "one and only" way that f.lux currently reads calibrations today.

So that means there are two "good" solutions:

• To calibrate a monitor, you should use software that actually writes color profiles (ICC or ICM), and f.lux will read them. The simple calibration in your video driver usually does not do this.
    • We might add UI to f.lux to support all these settings (we have them internally). This just takes time and we'll work on it.

• I'd love the UI. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• I figured out this can be fixed via Windows color calibration, but it takes a little effort.

If you go to \Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color there are a bunch of default color configurations. The two you need to worry about are the .icm files. I assume they are named the same for everyone, but mine were named "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm" and "RSWOP.icm" (there many be additional color profiles in there as well from other calibrations. I moved them all to a backup location). These are the files that f.lux reads from as far as I can tell, which is why importing or creating new profiles doesn't work, these are the files that need to be changed.

I created another folder in that folder, \color\backup, and moved these two files there. Now these are core Windows files so buyer beware (I recommend backing them up instead of deleting them), but as far as I can tell there are no negative effects. In order to do this you have to change the file permissions, they are owned by "TrustedInstaller".

-Right click -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Owner -> Edit -> set it to yourself.
    -Under the Security tab click Edit, you should now have permissions to change these other permissions. Click on Administrators and give them modify and write access.
    -Apply, you can now move the files safely to the backup location.

With these profiles gone, f.lux can't read from them anymore. To make sure that f.lux and Windows are using the color profile you want do this:

-Copy the .icm profile you want to use to this folder, either one you have downloaded or created via Windows color calibration. If you calibrated your monitors earlier there should already be that calibration file in this directory.
    -Right click on the desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Right click on any monitor -> Properties -> Color Management -> Color Management -> Advanced -> Change System Defaults
    -In the Devices tab make sure there are no other profiles click Add -> Browse and find the color profile you moved to the \color directory.
    -Set this profile as default for all monitors (you can have different calibrations for different monitors if you like)
    -Close that window and go to the Devices tab in the other Color Management window and make sure the profile you want is the only one there and is set to default.
    -Close everything out and start f.lux. With only one color profile to read from it selects that and keeps all your settings!

• f.lux team

Can't tell exactly what you're doing by CMYK profiles around - I don't know what that would do, but those files are for a printer not a display.

f.lux reads the "default" profile for each display on startup and once every ten minutes.

So whatever you set in Control Panel -> Color Management is what we read, and nothing else.

• Hrm, werid. The first thing I tried was just just that; setting the default profile in Control Panel -> Color Management (and removing all other profiles), but it didn't work for me (as soon as I started f.lux it would read some other file and reset my color calibration). This could work for others so I'd suggest people try that first before mucking around in the CMYK files (especially if it may mess up your printing), but after moving those profiles f.lux did not reset color calbration. No idea why that is happening but that is my personal experience.

• This is happening for me too and unfortunately the suggestion of removing the "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm" and "RSWOP.icm" profiles had no effect. I have "CalibratedDisplayProfile-1.icm" (ie Windows colour calibration profile) set as my default profile and it ignores the gamma and colour calibrations defined in that profile. If I hit 'Reload current calibrations' in the Color Management screen, Flux changes the colour back after about 1 second, which makes it unusable unfortunately, as my Dell Precision M4800 laptop has a very dark screen and needs a lot more gamma correction than can be achieved by adjusting the screen's limited brightness controls.

• Hi,

I'm having this problem too - it didn't matter before because my monitors had a similar calibration, but I've just got a new monitor whereby the gamma needs to be turned way down.

If I run Flux, I either up the gamma causing one to be really washed out and difficult to read, or I lower the gamma and the other monitors becomes really dark.

Is there anyway to control the gamma independently please? Or maybe have Flux add a 'warming' effect which doesn't alter the gamma?

Thanks!

• f.lux team

Our FAQ recommends QuickGamma for this:

https://justgetflux.com/faq.html?q=quickgamma

• QuickGamma doesn't go low enough for me (and the profile isn't used by windows) and it doesn't care about the "default" profile

Looks like your connection to f.lux forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.